• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greetings, all

Gryphon

I'm not very good at this sort of thing, so I apologise in advance for what may appear to be a terse introduction.

I'm an avid reader with very eclectic taste in books (as well as music). I live in California but I also lived in England for a number of years.

I'm very happy to have found this forum and look forward to participating in it.

Thanks.

:D

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of books do you like then...I'm just wondering what's classed as 'eclectic'?

Oh, and you could name a few bands you like too :)

Mxx

Greetings and welcome.
I've been in music (rock) and am a writer, so we share some interests. I'm eclectic in both, enjoying Pavarotti and Little Richard, as well as oldies like Dean Martin. I also liked blues and some jazz.
I write SciFi, technical, murder mysteries and true crime, and other crud like that.

Many thanks to all of you for the welcome.

By eclectic, I mean that I read everything from bread wrappers to the classics. I'm fond of biographies, history (fiction as well as non-fiction), comparative religion, children's literature, (although at the moment I think I'm Harry Potter'd out), fantasy et al. I'm currently reading The Princess Bride. Next in my stack of books to read is a novel by Beryl Bainbridge and after that perhaps some Thomas Hardy.

As for music, I listen to just about everything including rock, heavy metal, folk, blues, classical -- majored in music at college once upon a time, so I learned to like it all, if it's well done. I like oldies (e.g. Rick Nelson, Dion), music from the sixties, (especially the Beatles) and seventies (Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Elton John), and more recent stuff by Enya and Loreen McKennitt, Sheryl Crow and Anastacia, Lenny Kravitz and Eric Clapton, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, the White Stripes and lots of others. In the Classical realm I'm especially fond of Mozart and Itzhak Perlman, as well as early (modal) music.

I firmly believe that variety is the spice of life and try to avoid getting into ruts (the only difference between a rut and a grave is the width and the depth). The result is that I'm rarely bored. ;)

Marvellous, the only reason I ask is that I had a conversation with someone last week who stated they had 'eclectic taste in media', so I asked them what they like to read. "science-fiction and horror" they answered, so I asked them what else they read, "no, that's it. Science-fiction and horror!" Geez!

Like yourself I am quite eclectic in taste, and am currently reading a few books at once, ranging from Pride and Prejudice to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and from Catcher in the Rye to Who's afraid of Beowulf.

Have you seen the film of The Princess Bride? I enjoyed it immensely but, as usual, the book is much better. The book just gives so much more depth than the film does. I'll look forward to discussing it with you afterwards and finding your thoughts on whether you believe Morgenstern and the land created in the book really exist or not. Also, are you reading the version that has the first chapeter of the sequel in it?

Which Hardy novel are you going to read next?

Onto music, I like all you listed with the exception of Loreen McKennitt who I have never heard. Do you like all of the White Stripes? I liked the first 3 albums as they were more raw, the new one - not so much.

Mxx

I had a conversation with someone last week who stated they had 'eclectic taste in media', so I asked them what they like to read. "science-fiction and horror" they answered, so I asked them what else they read, "no, that's it.
LOL

currently reading a few books at once
Me, too! :)

Have you seen the film of The Princess Bride? I enjoyed it immensely but, as usual, the book is much better. The book just gives so much more depth than the film does. I'll look forward to discussing it with you
Sorry, Murph -- just saw your reply to my post on the Film Adpatations thread, so it might be best to discuss it there, yes?

Which Hardy novel are you going to read next?
Not sure yet. Either Return of the Native or Jude the Obscure. Have just finished watching the movie version of Far From The Maddening Crowd.

Do you like all of the White Stripes? I liked the first 3 albums as they were more raw, the new one - not so much.
Seems we're at odds once again, murph. I thought Elephant was their best work yet. The addition of the bass was a stroke of genius. I think they've managed to mature while still maintaining the elemental rawness that is their signature. But the first three are good too. :)

No problem, just easier to reply in topic in another thread than to completely take over Gryphon's. :)

Mxx

Welcome, welcome. I've been away awhile and trying to catch up. Where is CA did you live? I lived in Oxnard (Ventura County) for three years and my oldest son recently relocated to Monterey with his Airforce wife. Haven't been there yet, but plan to. I hear it's beautiful.

'eclectic taste in media'. Isn't that interesting.

Thanks for the welcome, Dawn. I lived for many years in Southern California (San Fernando Valley and Orange County) but now I'm in the north part of the state, at the tip of the Central Valley. Yes, Monterey is beautiful. The coastline is breathtaking. I'd love to live there, but it is also very expensive. I've heard many wonderful things about New Orleans. I always wanted to see it. I used to have a friend who lived there, but unfortunately I never got around to visiting her and eventually we lost touch. It's still high on my list of places to go. ;)

Back