• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greg Bear: Forge of God

I had put this one on hold as the first few chapters seemed a bit slow to me, and I had other things going on anyway.

Finished it yesterday. The pace definitely quickens towards the end as the spiders come on the scene. Lots of unanswered questions though.

I'm not sure about the "guest". Whether he was hitching a ride or was a decoy. When he died, didn't the post mortem reveal that it looked like it had a finite lifespan with no waste removal system?

Near the end, it says that the homeworld of the planet eaters had realised their mistake and were trying to set decoys to prevent them being found out. How long ago isn't clear, so would they have had time to set a decoy specific to earth? Why tell us the bad news anyway, why not just let us believe in the Australian robots?

This "Law" and the "Moms" intrigues me. I might have to read the sequel to see if it explains things further.

I agree with you Ell about scenes from Independence Day being similar to Forge of God.

Overall I enjoyed Forge of God, but I did find the fist couple of hundred pages a bit slow - not sure what was going to happen; where was all this leading to? Maybe that's the clever part, the pace and style of the book mimics the feelings on Earth. What's going on? Towards the end, the sense of urgency creeps in and information begins to filter through.

Will try to write a quick review over the weekend :)

Darren.

Back