• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hand-Drawn Silmarillion Should Wow Tolkien Fans

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Hand-Drawn Silmarillion Should Wow Tolkien Fans

Our friends over at TheOneRing.net report on a German art student named Benjamin Harff who spent a year and a half creating a one-of-a-kind, hand-made version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion.

Harff’s gorgeous book contains hundreds of illustrations, illuminated pages, and calligraphic pages; the tome itself is custom bound in goat leather. (The actual text of the book is typed, not hand-lettered — Harff says “It would probably have taken a year just to write the pure text if I had written it by hand.”)

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_bimmerforums_Silmarillino.jpg

They must reproduce this so I may own one.

I have to admit though, this is still awe inspiring:
kells2.jpg

Taken from the original Book of Kells - illuminated manuscript produced circa 800; especially so given the tools they had to work with back then...

That Silmarillion is indeed awesome - looks very Celtic - question....is that a little beastie down in the right hand corner? - please forgive the question if it's a dumb one.

I see no beastie.

o.k. bear with me for a mo - at the bottom right hand corner there are two scrolled circles attached to a larger circle below - to the left of the two circles is a greyish blob - what ist? Just part of the pattern?

Ah I see - I am fairly sure that's just the effect of the wash (that I assume to be black, watercolour-based paint). It does look like a kind of seal-type thing though if I stare at it long enough.

Ah I see - I am fairly sure that's just the effect of the wash (that I assume to be black, watercolour-based paint). It does look like a kind of seal-type thing though if I stare at it long enough.

Thanks Will - could be just what you say - I'd like to think there's a crypto kind of symbol in there but maybe read too many spy stories. :innocent:

Just my flight of fancy I guess - Silmarillion is still awesome - wouldn't mind a wall hanging like it. :)

Back