• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hans or Grimm

PatrickBateman

Ok, I want interested in buying the complete fairy tales of either Hans Christian Andersen or The Brothers Grimm but not sure which to go with. What do you all think, whose are better?

The Brothers Grimm.

And make sure you don't buy a modernized version that softens the stories, or a version for 'young readers' that censors all the good stuff.

One of my favorite books of all time was a volume of The Brothers Grimm fairy tales. I discovered it in the attic when I was about 11 and I read that thing from cover to cover many times.

Who came first? Anderson or the Brothers? I assume the Brothers Grimm stories are much older, but I'm not certain.

Regardless, I reccommend the Brothers Grimm.

It's hard to say. These tales have one common feature - they are very cruel and scary. However, their cruelness differs: in Andersen stories it is a depressing atmosphere, an enormous feeling of sadness, unexpectedly tragic endings. Grimm brothers' tales are bloody, with limbs being cut off and the bad guys killed after sophisticated tortures. It's hard to believe that, in this form, they are already softened - I mean Grimms' works, which are gathered from people who were telling stories (nannies for example), some old papers, traditional folk stories. It was a former way of upbringing : to threaten children.

You must then choose which one do you prefer: imagination of one man - Andersen, or tradition of generations (German people mostly, but not only. There are significant similarities between Grimms' tales and the French stories collected by Perrault long before).

Though I didn't know anything about the existence of censored versions (except from Disney's films, which I prefer), I agree with HBinjection. It's better to know the originals, especially because you're not a child any more. But if you want to read them to some children, you'll have to use your imagination and change them slightly here and there.;) , unless they are twelve or around and love bloody adventures.

Personally speaking, Andersen's stories are on higher artistic level, GrimmBrothers' language is much simpler.

As for who was first: Andersen and Grimm Brothers wrote in XIX century. Because Grimms' tales were not made up by them, they were older.

I wouldn't be able to choose between them - I've got both collections!

Well, the choice is really difficult- but rather Andersen. His stories have unusual underlying philosophical thought and deep message. On the other hand, Grimms' stories present very typical motifs, which can be found in many tales from different countries. They are not as original as Andersen's.

I would buy that copy Bateman, if I were you. It sounds good from the reader reviews. In fact, I may buy myself a copy at that price.

The softened versions I referred to are usually marked as children's versions and are abridged. I just happened to pick up a volume of Grimm's Fairy Tales at a friends house and noticed that some of the stories were changed, and that many of the stories I remembered from the book were gone, like the one where the rich woman refuses to feed her sister and her nephew, and when she cuts a loaf of bread for dinner, the loaf bleeds, and she knows her nephew died, and she is responsible.

I love folk tales.

I bought a collection of North American Folktales from the bargain bin at a bookstore, and have really enjoyed it. There are a lot of Mexican American stories, and Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyon of course. Many are familiar to me, but not all. And Aesop's Fables are another favorite.

Back