• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hard to find book

common_sense

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find a book in the U.S. and have had no luck so far. The book's title is "Engineers and Ivory Towers - Hardy Cross". It was published by McGraw-Hill sometime in 1952.

Any help (links) in finding this book will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think ebay is as trustworthy as the individual seller is trustworthy. So it really is hit or miss. I think there are some ways to protect yourself (contest charges if you don't receive the book), but I'm not very familiar with all of the ins and outs of the place. I guess the best that can really be done is to try to buy from sellers who are established and have a lot of positive feedback. I've had good experiences and bad experiences (they never sent the book).

Might a library near you have the book? Are you anywhere near Brooklyn, NY? It's in a library there.

Well, if all it takes is a book to finish your course as a Civil Engineer I think its worth the cost.

Agreed but I find it odd that a 1952 Engineering book that is harder to find than Britney Spears self-respect is a requirement for a course.

I'd go with jez's advice and seek an intra-library loan of it.

Thanks for all your assistance guys but it would require for me to take a plane from my country to the US and another to NY. I had it bookmarked at Amazon.com and when I checked a week later (didn't have the money) it was gone. The problem is that the book could be photocopied but I'm not sure if that is legal in the US. I've tried to contact the publishers (McGraw-Hill) but by the time I get through I have spent at least $12.50 US dollars and still be unable to talk to anyone. I've also visited their site but don't really know which link would be the best to follow.

The next thing about this book is that the professor does not want any photocopies, he wants the real deal. As you can see, I need to find the book. Could there be someone on this forum from another country (England, Australia) who could give me some help? All I need is a site as I will make the purchase using a credit card. Well, at least I'll give it a try.
Really need all the help I can get. Thanks!

It's not a bribe as the professor mentioned it to the whole class (100+) students. But the fact is that out of all the class, it appears that only about 20 will pass the course. So, the professor requested the book as part of the project if you wanted to make it.

So far, as you can see it's been almost impossible. Maybe that's his way of making sure no one can complain that he didn't give them a chance. Don't really know for sure.

The book actually looks like something that should be in my library; however, at over $150/copy it won't be joining the ranks any time soon.

I meant check your local library, not go to one that is far away. I don't know what country you are from, but you might be able to get a library that is far away from you, but still in your country, to send it to you. Contacting the publisher seems like a good idea, but why is it so costly? Phone bills?

Back