• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harper Lee

StillILearn

With more than 10,000,000 copies sold since it first appeared in 1960, "To Kill a Mockingbird" exists as one of the best-selling novels of all time. For decades, Ms. Lee has remained fiercely mindful of her privacy, politely but resolutely refusing to talk to the press and making only rare public appearances, in which she always declines to speak. She has maintained her resolve despite renewed attention in the wake of the film "Capote," in which Ms. Lee is portrayed as the moral conscience of her childhood friend Truman Capote; the coming "Infamous," another Capote movie in which Sandra Bullock plays Ms. Lee; and a biography of Ms. Lee scheduled for May.

NYT link

StillILearn said:
NYT link

Thanks for posting the link! How fascinating, I knew she was reclusive but she sounds perfectly normal, not the weird old lady I thought she must be. That's a classy dame.

Miss Shelf said:
Thanks for posting the link! How fascinating, I knew she was reclusive but she sounds perfectly normal, not the weird old lady I thought she must be. That's a classy dame.

I sure would like to know how and why she stopped at writing only that one book.

She could have lots of resons. Maybe she said what she wanted to say and didn't feel the need to write anything else. Maybe she felt she couldn't top that one. If I wrote a book like that, I'd be intimidated myself, thinking I could never write anything else as good. Maybe if she wrote another book and it was lousy, that might tarnish TKAM.

You never know, maybe she published more under an assumed name, and it's one of the best-kept secrets in publishing.

[B said:
Miss Shelf[/B]]You never know, maybe she published more under an assumed name, and it's one of the best-kept secrets in publishing.

She's right up there on my list of 'with whom you'd like to dine'. :D

Still, while I was browsing in a bookstore, I remembered your post and started thumbing through TKAM. I looked up and a good 30 minutes of book browsing time had gone.

Darn.

ds

direstraits said:
Still, while I was browsing in a bookstore, I remembered your post and started thumbing through TKAM. I looked up and a good 30 minutes of book browsing time had gone.

Darn. ds

Interestingly, I was just emailing my g'daughter (who turned fifteen last week) and she is being required to read it.

I wonder if it's as enjoyable when you are required to read it.

Actually, I was required to read it - for my literature period during my secondary school many years ago. I finished the book ahead of the class accidentally, and remembered how shocked I was at the ending.

I didn't like the literature teacher though, but I did enjoy the book.

If your gdaughter have problems, tell her uncle direstraits has gone through the same thing and came out with his mind still functioning (though barely, but it has nothing to do with the book),

ds

We had to read TKAM as a GCSE text at school too, and I don't remember anyone not enjoying it, or the other non-Shakespeare, non-poetry, non-19th-Century, Lord of the Flies

Get the video or DVD of the movie with Gregory Peck. I think it's very faithful to the book, one of the best movies ever made. It makes me cry every time I watch it, and I've watched it countless times over the years.

Miss Shelf said:
Get the video or DVD of the movie with Gregory Peck. I think it's very faithful to the book, one of the best movies ever made. It makes me cry every time I watch it, and I've watched it countless times over the years.

I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I own the movie, I just have to find it. ;)

If your gdaughter have problems, tell her uncle direstraits has gone through the same thing and came out with his mind still functioning (though barely, but it has nothing to do with the book)

Nothing wrong with your brain, Uncle ds, that I can see, although I am ready to see some new additions to your wardrobe. (Bananas do look kinda silly in kimonos.) :D

StillILearn said:
I sure would like to know how and why she stopped at writing only that one book.

i'm curious too. but as someone mentioned before, perhaps she felt as if she couldn't "top" it.

WoundedThorns said:
i'm curious too. but as someone mentioned before, perhaps she felt as if she couldn't "top" it.

If so, she's probably the only writer on the planet who has ever had that thought! :D

Here's the (probable) deal: Somebody else wrote it and for some reason had her pretend that she did, then the real writer died and Ms Lee never had the courage (or perhaps any reason) to correct the story.

Hm. There's a storyline in there someplace. I think I'll give it to Stephen King and see what he can do with it. ;)

Back