• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter books go digital

Robert

Break out the iPods; Harry’s going digital

All six Potter novels now available for download

The digital audiobooks are being released by the Random House Audio Trade Group, her current audio publisher. They can be purchased through Apple’s iTunes store, for prices ranging from $32.95 for a single book to $249 for the whole series, which, according to Random House, includes a “full color digital booklet” and “previously unreleased readings” by Rowling.

I wonder, is the experience the same listening to a book or reading it? I'd think that when you read a book, you kind of read out loud to yourself in your head, imagine all the inflections, etc. and I wonder if it's the same experience hearing someone else read a book?

Miss Shelf said:
I wonder, is the experience the same listening to a book or reading it? I'd think that when you read a book, you kind of read out loud to yourself in your head, imagine all the inflections, etc. and I wonder if it's the same experience hearing someone else read a book?

It's not the same. Audio books take longer to get through, and It seems to be more difficult to focus on the story.

When I was younger I had a few books where there was *someone* talking on a casette tape while you followed the words then when you turn the page there was a chime on the casette tape telling you when you turn the page. I think these kind of things are made for young children who can't read too well but would like to follow along to the casette while following the words along in the book. This is kind of a way your brain picks up how to say the word while your following the words in the book.

RainbowGurl said:
When I was younger I had a few books where there was *someone* talking on a casette tape while you followed the words then when you turn the page there was a chime on the casette tape telling you when you turn the page. I think these kind of things are made for young children who can't read too well but would like to follow along to the casette while following the words along in the book. This is kind of a way your brain picks up how to say the word while your following the words in the book.
Oh, I remember those! I got Beauty and the Beast one year for Christmas :cool: I would spend hours just listening to the tape over and over :D

I actually got the cds for my sister to listen to before she learned how to read, but the reader read it to fast for her to understand and the British accent made it difficult for her to decipher the words. I think that the Ipod books would probably be the same in that regard so many children could have more trouble listening to it than (gasp) actually having to read it.

Have books besides Harry Potter also come out for Ipods?

h_carnahan said:
the reader read it to fast for her to understand and the British accent made it difficult for her to decipher the words.
They should read much more slowly! Especially as these kinds of tapes go world wide.
I think everyone has trouble with understanding accents. When I went to Canada I found it difficlut to understnad them sometimes and some had problems understanding my accent too. Alot of the time I had to repeat what I said twice. Even though America, Canada, United Kingdom and other places speak English it still is difficult to understand each other unless we speak slowly to each other until we pick up the words and slang we both use.

i think these Harry Potter audio books are very expensive a few hundred quid for every audio book when u could download them elsewhere for free

Dermotjpr said:
i think these Harry Potter audio books are very expensive a few hundred quid for every audio book when u could download them elsewhere for free
Wow :eek: This is expensive.

I remember downloading the first Harry Potter book for free a couple of years ago - could people not just put these on their iPods or whatnot?

Back