• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter/Christian Analysis

KBomb_reads

Has anyone read or even glimpsed at the Harry Potter analysis book by some Christian father? I don't recall the name, just the feeling of disappointment I got by looking at it. If you have to read the analysis before you let your children read H.P. you've failed as a parent.
On the topic of subliminal christian messages in H.P., if you have to read as an adult and seriously search for it, maybe it's just not meant to be there.

You would have your children read a book that could potentially skew their views and sense of morals? Not to say this is the deal with HP, but it can't hurt to check.

way to compliment your children's intelligence. gee, I wonder why they're so f'-d up. just to clarify, if they don't know the difference between a made-up story and reality, it sounds like their views are already skewed. but, hey, the fact is most christians don't have a problem with making stuff up. I mean, we all know the easter bunny is just a metaphor for jesus and his magically chocolate eggs.

bobbyburns said:
way to compliment your children's intelligence. gee, I wonder why they're so f'-d up. just to clarify, if they don't know the difference between a made-up story and reality, it sounds like their views are already skewed.

Of course, I wasn't saying they couldn't tell the story isn't fiction, just that the I wouldn't want any bad ideas that might be in the book to be passed on to children at a young age. I'm mean the sort of age when they're easily impressionable. Once someone is older than eight or so I think they're ready to make up their own views. I won't go any further though, because I don't know all that much about the subject.

KBomb_reads said:
Has anyone read or even glimpsed at the Harry Potter analysis book by some Christian father? I don't recall the name, just the feeling of disappointment I got by looking at it. If you have to read the analysis before you let your children read H.P. you've failed as a parent.
On the topic of subliminal christian messages in H.P., if you have to read as an adult and seriously search for it, maybe it's just not meant to be there.

The book by John Granger, homeschooling father of 7?

Why would it mean failure as a parent? Christians parents are very concerned about what their children are exposed to. I haven't read the book, but it's nice to see Harry Potter given approval from someone in the Christian community.

I feel dissapointed when I read about Harry Potter book burnings by people that don't look at Harry Potter with an open mind.

I was getting at more of a direct approach. I know the author read HP, why don't more parents read HP if they're so concerned about their own children. It's one thing to be close minded, and its a long the same lines to listen to one christian nobody who says the book is good.
Don't you think without reading HP, it's still hipocracy? Here are the options:
1) I don't read the book and assume it's immoral
2) I don't read the book and listen to someone I have never heard before say it's really moral (because he's christian)
Either way, one has no idea, and they still don't read it.

KBomb_reads said:
I was getting at more of a direct approach. I know the author read HP, why don't more parents read HP if they're so concerned about their own children. It's one thing to be close minded, and its a long the same lines to listen to one christian nobody who says the book is good.
Don't you think without reading HP, it's still hipocracy? Here are the options:
1) I don't read the book and assume it's immoral
2) I don't read the book and listen to someone I have never heard before say it's really moral (because he's christian)
Either way, one has no idea, and they still don't read it.

It may be questionable but it's not hypocrisy. It would be hypocrisy if a Christian assumed the book to be immoral and then read it to his children.

Believing and acting on what one hears is common in all parts of society, not just Christianity. How many of us will hear a fact or opinion from news anchors, politicians, authors, teachers, friends or anybody, and never question the whether what was said was right or wrong?

Each major religion will always want to downplay anything that may affect its way of working. Christian parents are afraid of the occult or something similar but if a child turns to this it is not because of a book it is down to much more than that (parents lifestyle and oppression of their own children)
A christian will always change their mind remember that those who agreed with the pontificate on hp now h8 hp because the new pope believes it to be immoral but i still dont understand what makes it immoral can you please tell me. Hp is a story based on the fight against evil mixed with the life of a school kid and we should all realise this regardless of what the school teaches in the story. plus does the story not contain underlying moral messages like not being racist(descrimination against half giants in the story) this is exactly the same as discrimination now a days. in my opinion hp was a gift from god as it got a nation of kids away from computer games and made them read again. remember hp is not the only book in a kids library

Dermotjpr said:
...but i still dont understand what makes it immoral can you please tell me...

What I've heard is that JK did a lot of research on the occult and used that research in the books for magic spells and such. It's not true of course, but some Christians believe it and have a moral obligation to protect their children from it.

I have a very strong Chrstian background, and I can't find a thing wrong with the stories.

So am i

I love the books and i am christian aswell and believe that you are right there is nothing wrong it is only overprotective parents worrying about there children developing a mature opinion of the world

I am also a christian, but i read a bucketload of fantasy novels. I think that if a person reads the book and does not beleive it it is by all means, prefectly all right within religion. If a person is guillabe enough to beleive what they read, in this case HP, they don't deserve to read :D

hey fistandantilus. this time I totally agree with you. that's pretty cewl what you said about reading stuff.

well, see you later.

A lot of my friends are Christian, like me, and we all read the books. The reason some Christians don't like books like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter is because they think it has to do with "satanic arts" and that even reading something about satanic arts would be against the 2nd commandment. (I won't go into detail) Like fistandantilus said,
Fistandantilus said:
I think that if a person reads the book and does not beleive it it is by all means, prefectly all right within religion. If a person is guillabe enough to beleive what they read, in this case HP, they don't deserve to read

I don't mean to imply that I'm against Christians. Everyone is hipocritical at some point. I learn to question everything, but I like to get my fair share of knowledge about it first before I bash it. I don't believe in cencorship of any kind.
When I was younger, about 13-15 or so, I was reading Amityville Horror and The Black Dahlia. I think my parents were confident in themselves so much so, that it was my mom who actually recommended those books to me.
In religious private colleges, they have art departments that wont let there be naked models...<--that has nothing to do with anything, but it's new in my world and I'm still a bit peeved with it. Why is anatomy so unbearably wrong that we can't even study it? Probably the same reason why HP is satanic.
I just say: Parents, have confidence in your own abilities.

KBomb_reads said:
In religious private colleges, they have art departments that wont let there be naked models...<--that has nothing to do with anything, but it's new in my world and I'm still a bit peeved with it. Why is anatomy so unbearably wrong that we can't even study it?
When I was at school the books containing nude models for art purposes were kept in a special location behind the library desk and a note from the teacher of the class and a parent were required to borrow them. I think this is fair enough, though. Children should not be able to access what could be offensive to some. Although you sound like a very liberal person, you must accept that some people may not feel the same way. Ultimately, if you are mature enough to use the material, then it is available to you.

In regards to the HP book you are referring to, and which I was until now unfamiliar with, I feel that it is perhaps a good thing. There has been so much said about how various religious groups are against the story and its connection to the occult. The author of this book appears to be trying to get the message out to christians that it is okay to read it. In my opinion it is better that parents receive a balanced opinion, so reading this book is anything but harmful. I do agree with you that parents should read any book they feel is too mature or contains harmful material before rashly 'banning' a book. Any book they consider inappropriate should be discussed with a child, and an age limit set for its reading. Banning a book or any material often only makes it more desirable for the child to read, and they will resort to deceitful means of obtaining the material and breaking the trust of the parent.

Any book they consider inappropriate should be discussed with a child, and an age limit set for its reading.
I don't think an age limit is really appropriate. I think they'd need more of a maturity limit. Once they're mature enough to read the book, they can read it. (Of course this would only hold until the child turned 18)

Yes, I agree that it is good that there is a Christian man encouraging others instead of discouraging them, but I think it's a shame that it has to be that way in any situation not just this.
As for the schools with permission slips and such, that sounds like grade school and maybe highschool, but what happens when a "child" becomes 18,19 and on? This is college.. there should be no permission slip; There should be no censorship, especially in an art department. That's like cutting off the extremities of art.

KBomb_reads said:
As for the schools with permission slips and such, that sounds like grade school and maybe highschool, but what happens when a "child" becomes 18,19 and on? This is college.. there should be no permission slip

There isn't really a permission slip in college though, more of a "Be good or I'll stop paying tuition"

Back