• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter- is it all it's cracked up to be?

Fistandantilus

aimages_jp.amazon.com_images_P_0747551006.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have read all the HP books so far and i think that the novelty wears off after the second book. I find myself buying the books not for the read, but to discover what happens next. Some of it is well written, but there are far better books out there, Does anyone agree with me?

Sure, I agree with you, but you could say the same about a lot of books that are written in a series. Seeing what happens next is a very valid reason for reading a book, in my opinion.

Hp

Yes, it is. I normally buy books for their content, I have no problen with HP I just think that the series is overrated but it did introduce a lot of people to reading.

Huh. The covers are cooler on the U.K. editions.

My opinion is that the series isn't overrated as such, because most people don't claim that it is great literature or anything. Instead, I think it is overhyped. Its popularity has snowballed. People read it because everyone else they know has read it, and they want to be able to join the conversation.

When I read the series, I found the writing serviceable but not creative. I needed fresh air afterward, which I got by returning to the writing of Virginia Woolf and others who knew how to make prose into poetry.

Hp

You are abseloutley right. The amount of controversy over the release of the order of the phoenix was colossal. Most of the people who I know who would rather die than read a book have read it, and some have read it but didn't take in a word of it in. I think that there is some creativity in the books, but not enough. I read The Hitchikers Guide again after the 5th book (i needed a laugh:D)

I really like the HP books. But we all have to remember that the writing is not at all close to that of Viginia Woofe, but the books are written for children, and so the writing become a bit simplistic, so that all age groups can read and understand them.

I think the books progress well, with the growth of the characters, even though a lot of it is a bit predicable, but overall, for a light and enjoyable read I find them to be refreshing and light hearted with a bit of action and suspense.

And I know that I myself pre ordered, the Order of the Phoenix months ahead of time...and I have the new one pre ordered as well :p I have joined the hype of the books I admit, but I just really like reading them.

Usagi said:
I really like the HP books. But we all have to remember that the writing is not at all close to that of Viginia Woofe, but the books are written for children, and so the writing become a bit simplistic, so that all age groups can read and understand them.
Actually, I think the author has stated that her intentions never were to make this a series of books for children. That is why they have gotten progressively darker as Harry Potter has grown older. Granted, they aren't that dark compared to other books, but my only point is that they weren't written with a children's audience in mind.

I really like all the HP books. The third one if my favorite. I don't think they are particularly well-written, but I do find the story and the characters delightful. And even though I thought the fifth one was the worst so far, I'm still going to buy the sixth and seventh ones just so I know how the story ends.

I love Harry Potter - and not because of the hyp, or because everyone else has read it - but because I find it captivating, interesting and I like that style of writing. I can't wait for the sixth one, but I'm not going to be barging in to buy it as soon as the bookshop opens.

There might be better books out there, but I think with Harry Potter, it appeals to a wider audience, and isn't really challenging in what it presents. Some books are brilliant, but they are not comfortable and require a lot of thought and maturity to process and ultimately to appreciate.

I dislike HP hyp, but I'm more anti-movie hyp than anything else. I have no problem with hyp about a book. It should happen more often. If it means people are reading the book, that's a start. Since so many people don't read, that they are reading something is enough to be going on with.

I have read all the so-far-released Harry Potter books. I simply loved the first book. And from there on, my liking decreased with every book. I read just out of curiosity - want to know what happens next. I don't think I am going to read her next book though, especially considering the size of the book.

When I read the first book, the whole idea looked really good to me. And then with every book, it went on and on and it got boring.

sanyuja said:
I have read all the so-far-released Harry Potter books. I simply loved the first book. And from there on, my liking decreased with every book. I read just out of curiosity - want to know what happens next.

This appears to be a commonly held veiw, wanting only to know what happens next. i think as the books try to get darker, the worse and more predictable they become.

Fistandantilus said:
This appears to be a commonly held veiw, wanting only to know what happens next. i think as the books try to get darker, the worse and more predictable they become.

There are certain aspects of the book that one would find predictable, such as the return of Voldemort to power, things that would be predictable in any series. Beyond that, what do you find predictable?

But, if they're predictable don't you already know what happens next? :D If you enjoy the story I don't understand your problem. No, they are not brilliantly written novels, but they are fun. What is ever so wrong with that? Would you enjoy them more if it were the same plotline written by a different author?

I do not care which author writes it, i have no real problem with the books i just think they are overrated and rowling's style is not normally to my taste. the books are still o.k- i would read anything (mostly) because reading is to me, the most enjoyable hobby there is. i do not intend to appear so negative, i do not mind the books.

It's interesting when people say that the books are over rated, because I've never seen them given a high rating except on the enjoyment scale. I have to admit that I'm constantly amazed by the popularity Harry Potter.

The Initial Printing for the Goblet of fire was 3.8 million.
The Initial Printing for the Order of the Phoenix was 8.5 million (A record first printing until book 6).
The Initial Printing for Half Blood Prince is 10.8 million (The record first printing in the US).

We have bookstores opening their doors at midnight, midnight HP parties in costume, & midnight readings.

The New York Time Children’s best sellers list was created because of Harry Potter.

We've seen people condemn HP without so much as reading a page. I have seen it condemned for religious reasons. I seen it condemned because of the way it's written. You have to love those HP Book burnings and attempts to ban HP Books from school libraries.

Children that don't normally read anything else will sit up day and night until the book is done.

Kids will go to a movie to catch a preview of the next HP movie, then leave without watching the feature.

Oh, and has anybody counted the number of websites dedicated to everything Harry Potter?

As far as only reading the book to find out what happens next, what’s wrong with that? Isn’t' that what's suppose to happen with books written in a series? If a reader picks up the next in the series, the author must be doing something right.

Call it what you will. My word for it is extraordinary.

Robert said:
Call it what you will. My word for it is extraordinary.

I think that is the only word that can possibly describe the Harry Potter craze. I have to admit I am one of the people that will get all hyped up when the books come out and get very excited every time I see a Harry Potter preview. Although I have absolutely no idea what it is I love about Harry Potter or the concept/world that J.K Rowling created.

To add to your list of extrodinary Harry Potter Events, my sister is a school teacher for first grade. She has students who are determined to learn how to read for the sole purpose of reading Harry Potter.

h_carnahan said:
...To add to your list of extrodinary Harry Potter Events, my sister is a school teacher for first grade. She has students who are determined to learn how to read for the sole purpose of reading Harry Potter.

No kidding? Excellent!!!!

The only thing i'd say about harry potter is its ablity to get kids to read. I probaly would have enjoied the book a whole lot more back when I was a kid. Even now I guess Hp might be a good read if I want something really light hearted. Light hearted in its tone the way it feels to read not its content. Still its not all that great of a series. I've read alot better written (IMHO) fantasy. Maybe its just me. Marion Zimmer Bradleys Spell Sword (Darkover Novel) is what got me into reading. First novel I ever read I think, that wasn't for school.

Back