• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry

HPFanatic

I find it very interesting to read everyone's thoughts and opinions about the books and the films. JK Rowling certainly does have a special gift for entrancing her readers. We leave the "norm" of our lives and enter this great magical world of Harry. What an inspiring author and person she is. Having finished "Order" a few days after it came out I believe I'll be re-reading it fairly soon. As for the movies, I have chosen to forgo seeing them. I have such a wonderful picture in my head from all her descriptions and imagery that I wouldn't want to trade for someone else's vision. Strange maybe, but that isn't something I'm willing to give up. So then...happy reading everyone!

Harry Potter

I quite understand your idea of not seeing the films. but for me, it always seems interesting to see whether a movie director wil be able to find a vision that will satisfy everyone (or most of people at least). I was looking forward, fro exemple, for the Lord of The Rings Movies, but I was also worried about the difficulty of the job of adapting such a monument to the screen. The same feeling I felt about Harry Potter.
But , in the end, The LOTR and Harry Potter movies are the only adaptation on screen that did'nt disappoint me a bit! Of course quite a few things are missing, but the atmosphere and the idea is very well rendered.
And I have read all the HP books several times by now, except for the Book 5, which I just finished, so I consider myself well aware of what should and what shouldn't be in the movie.
You should go and have a look on the Philosopher's Stone. It's quite good! If you like it, then the second will please you even more.

I have heard very similar things regarding HP movies and the LOTR movies being that they hold true to the books. If die-hard Tolkien fans don't have negative things to say about the movie, that's a true test of the movie's faithfulness to stay close to the book. I just seem to have this odd hold on my vision of the Harry books that I just don't want to lose. Maybe after all seven books have come out I'll go back and watch all the movies. Who knows!

I also had a view on the characters in harry potter. I saw the first 2 movies and i wished i hadn't. It didn't really take away from the books for me. I just thought it wasn't worth the money. I think the books were much more enjoyable. The third book was my favorite so I do want to see what's going to happen with that movie.

I saw the movies, and I thought they were pretty good. As movies, not especially as adaptations of the books. But anyway, what I find annoying is that I kept seeing the actors acting out the scenes I was reading in the last book. It was horrible. I don't like it that way. I like the characters to be mine, and mine only.

The movies were not bad, I think.. A few characters are really well matched! For example Harry.. and Hermione... and Malfoy!! and also Hagrid looked as I always imagined him, and so do Mc Gonagall and Snape. But I was a little disappointed when I saw Dumbledore. He looked as a clown, not to be taken serioulsy.
I´m looking foward to the next movie .. when Trelawney turns up!!

I guess they were ok as movies. for some reason i just didn't like the way they were acted. True that many of the characters were matched well with actors. I think the movies just didn't get into so much detail that i thought the books had. I realize they couldn't really go into too much deatil because of time limits.

Books will always be better than the movies :)

Speaking of the HP movies, I loved the way Ron's character acted but he certainly didn't fit the idea of Ron I had from the books because the movie one wasn't as skinny, tall, and lanky as his character was portrayed. Though out of the three, he only came in second to Hermione. Now she was a good actress!

I always look forward to how they make movies out of books but never have I seen a movie that was better than it's original book.

Haha. I cant wait until the third movie. I've seen a few images and it seems to be interesting. I hope they show a bit of Hogsmede and it's always fun to see Emma Watson (that's her name, isn't it?) act.

I agree with user 'Mademoiselle' The Book will always be better than the movies. You get your own visual of all the scenery and characters. I had the same attitude towards watching the movies as HPfanatic had. I didn't want my imagination tampered with. But after watching the trailer of The Chamber of Secrets I couldn't resist. I wish I hadn't watched the movies though. For example, my perceptive of Hagrid, The Quidditch field, and most of all Crabbe and Goyle were totally different. Much props to those whom restrain themselves from watching the movies. In my mind, the 'movie' is rolling through your head as you are reading. The imagination processes each scenerio and character from the literature and that's exactly the way it should be. My visualtion of the book should be my own, not somebody else's, as it is when you watch the movie.

I've only seen the first HP movie, and I liked it, but for me the books will always be better. I think the films have been superbly cast, with the exception of Harry himself. I think Daniel Radcliffe is completely miscast - he is not a very good actor, looks nothing like I imagine Harry to look and only seems to have one facial expression (stunned, vacant bemusement). Still, that's only my opinion. :)

Originally posted by Halo
I think Daniel Radcliffe is completely miscast - he is not a very good actor, looks nothing like I imagine Harry to look and only seems to have one facial expression (stunned, vacant bemusement).
Right, my thoughts exactly. I absolutely hate his voice! *shudders*

I like seeing someone else's view of the movie, they aren't as good as the books but you know that J.K. Rowling is working with the directors on the movies, so they aren't that bad. But I do like watching someone else's view. But the books are better, but its that always true?

I think the books are incredible, Rowling has reinvigorated young fiction and written a classic right up there with Roald Dahl and Baum and L. M. Montgomery. If you don't believe me, check out Stephen King's review in Entertainment Weekly a few months ago. But I'm sure that I'm preaching to the choir here.

As for the movies, I think they are OK but lack the heart of the books. The actors are well cast, but I think in the screenwriter's devotion to the books, the movies are too long and paced wrong. I think the best movies follow the books but often have to leave bits out. I think it is possible to create a great movie from a great book - English Patient, Sense and Sensibility, LOTR, but that the HP movies just don't have the same spark.

In my mind, the 'movie' is rolling through your head as you are reading.

If an author and story is good enough the words themselves roll through my head as I'm reading. Even after watching the films though it's still my own movie that plays, not the cinema version.

Does anyone else ever feel the same way?

Jacqueline said:
Does anyone else ever feel the same way?
Yes.

As far as HP films are concerned, I found first two particularly tedious. When I later read the books, I was positively suprised, although of course I don't regard them as high literature. But my favourite was the 5-th.

Back