• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Has anybody read these?

JillyBean

Hi. I'm new to this site, and from my brief wanderings it seems that science fiction is the word around here. I have to admit, I haven't read much of the genre, (which doesn't mean that I never will :) ) but I'd like to share some of the great books that I have read lately...and I was wondering if any of you have read any of them.
One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
Gangster by Lorenzo Carcaterra
In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton
Blindness by Jose Saramago
What Looks like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
The First Time by Joy Fielding
Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins

Jill

I've read Fierce Invalids. It was a lot of fun. Have you read other Tom Robbins novels? My favorite is Skinny Legs and All. I consider it his best although I haven't yet read three of his novels.

What are those other novels like? Are they very recent?

I am reading Fierce Invalids right now. I enjoyed Still Life With Woodpecker MUCH more. I am not really enjoying this. I at the point where I just want to get through it.

Mike

What are those other novels like? Are they very recent?
One Thousand White Women is an amazing story! (According to me, of course :)) It begins with the factual encounter between a Cheyenne Indian chief and President U.S. Grant in 1875. Chief Little Wolf proposes to Grant that they trade 1000 horses for 1000 white women, who will become brides for the tribesmen. In this way, the white women will teach the Cheyenne about "white ways" and help assimilate them into the white man's world. Now, in real life, President Grant basically said "forget it!" This book is the story of "what if he had said yes" It's written in the form of a journal.
I think the thing I like most about it is that it helped me to see another perspective - that of the Indians. I enjoy books that challenge the way I view life, and this one certainly did!
Well, it seems I'm running out of room here, so..til next time,
Jill

Back