• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Has anyone read.........

irishgirl

.....'The Red Tent', by Anita Diamant.

I am almost finished it and it has become one of my favourite books.

Very different style narrative and plot from others I have read -it does take a while to read though, but it is very insightful?

Sorry if a similar thread has been posted. I'm new to this place.

hello,
this may get moved by one of the mods to fiction, but maybe not.
i loved the red tent. one of my all time favourites. when i finished i wanted a red tent for myself. i thought it was so well done and i really enjoyed reading something historical from a woman's pov.
you might enjoy the josephine bonaparte trilogy by sandra gulland. they are excellent. written in diary form, we look at josephine life from a young girl till her death.

I read The Red Tent a little over a year ago, and I still haven't found another book I like much more than that one. I really enjoyed the femininity of it all, and as a Christian, I naturally enjoyed the biblical background.

My aunt gave me this book awhile back and I set it aside for the longest time because I thought I wouldn't like it much. I finally got stuck with nothing else to read so I reluctently started it and ended up loving it. I thought the whole story was captivating and I loved the relationship of the women in the tent, the details of midwives and all of the story really. I had never been very familiar with the bible stories but this book sparked an interest and I did go on to read more like it Queenmaker by India Edghill, also one I really liked there's a couple of others I can't remember right now but I'll look up.

If you guys liked it (as I did), you should read Orson Scott Card's Women of Genesis series, starting with Sarah. It's very much like The Red Tent except he has different interpretations of the various characters, like Laban, Jacob, Joseph, etc. and of course the women are portrayed differently too. But it's just as captivating and it's all told from the women's perspective, and very involved with the Christian side of things. Sarah especially struck me as a very strong, spiritual person. The other two books are Rebekah and Rachel and Leah.

More on The Red Tent

I just finished The Red Tent and enjoyed it immensely. So did my (all-women) reading group. I've enjoyed hearing about men's reactions to the book, too. One member of our reading group told her male friend that the red tent was where ancient women spent the days of their menstrual period, and got the equivalent of a wrinkled nose and an "Ewwww!" I found an interesting "guy's review" at CityBeat. The reviewer liked the book, but noted, "As one might imagine, reading Anita Diamant's The Red Tent, caused me no uncertain awkwardness and trepidation. I felt like a voyeur about to be caught in a place I did not belong."

Back