• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have you ever....

Rzombie2002

I'm hoping to start up a whole line of new threads all springing from questions or scenarios such as the one I'm about to start.
Have you ever gotten so deeply involved in a book that you completely lost track of time and had it result in something stupid like forgetting to pick someone up or wound up being very late for work, seriously burned dinner, or anything of the like?

This happens to me all the time. I kindof zone out when I read. I've had people talking at me for minutes at a time not realizing that I don't hear anything they've said. I have forgotten pasta, forgotten to dispatch transfer calls and forgotten to watch movies/tv shows that I was looking forward to.

Heh--in a way, I wish I could use that as an excuse. When I put off responsibilities because I don't want to put down a book, I am all too aware of what I'm doing. I don't lose track of time, I use rationalizations instead: I don't have to go to the food store; maybe there's something in the kitchen.

Me to, I just leave this planet, :D and have lost count of the times I have past my station while on the train, I'm so bad if I'm going to have a little read before leaving for the School run, I set my Mobile alarm to remind me of the time :eek:

Oh, well now that's true for me too--the thing about missing train stops (and bus stops). Some regular riders are kind enough to remind me when my stop is coming up, because I have a reputation for looking up eventually and saying, "Huh? Omigod!"

Sometimes, my husband and I have been reading on a train or bus, and we've both failed to notice the stop.

Mari said:
Sometimes, my husband and I have been reading on a train or bus, and we've both failed to notice the stop.

I missed my stop on the school bus in 4th grade because I was ducked down on the seat reading. My poor mom totally freaked out.

mehastings said:
I missed my stop on the school bus in 4th grade because I was ducked down on the seat reading. My poor mom totally freaked out.

every time in school i was the first one to complete the assignment, so i picked up a book... in the beginning my teachers were pissed and tried to be mean and show me what don't know.. after a while they just glared.. and trainstops... oh my god, if i wouldn't have peopel telling me to get out, i would drive around the whole day..

Indeed

It's happens to me most every day. I feel wretched that I hold literature in higher regard than humans, sometimes. But I mean, really, can people even compete? Books are too consistant, too freeing. Personally, I'd take a book over picking up my sister from school any day.

I read often into the night until she who cannot drive complains, and trust me, you don't want that to happen too often. :D

Like most of you, I'm too engrossed while reading, and I've read until I ignored meals before too. And I have also done stuff like tell myself "Yeah I know I'm going to be late, but 5 minutes more!"

Well, you can guess what happens immediately after I said that...

:D

ds

how about forgetting to sleep till after 2...the morning before a test at school!!! not good. teacher didnt take my excuse 'but...but....had to finish the thriller...the suspense!!'
no one understands us...no one.
:(
lani

Funny this should come up becuse just yesterday I missed my station. I Looked up out of my book to see it slowly sliding past, so I shurgged and finished the chaper.

I often do the mistake of thinking that "I will just finish this chapter then I will go to sleep" when it's already very late. I never just finish the chapter, I always read at least three or ten chapters before I fall asleep. Luckily it's vacation now, so that is currently not a problem.
It is such a weird and twisted feeling, when I read in a book in the park, and I look up from the book and there's people around me, it's like I'm in two worlds at the same time, and everything looks so much darker and even more distant than it ususally is.
I don't need to read a book to forget important things, I can just go inside my head and suddenly hours have passed, and I never intend to, it just happens. I guess I am inside my head when I read books, so it's sort of the same thing.

Back