• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have you met any authors?

I've only met a German author - Wolfgang Hohlbein - and his wife, but I've had e-mail contact with several others, including Christopher Moore (who is charming even to his annoying fans :p ) and Ralf Isau - yet another German guy. You know... I think it's so sad that some of the really great authors aren't translated into english. It's the same with Japanese authors. Well, there's that Murakami guy but other than that... guess that's why I'm going to be a translater :D

I haven't met anyone face-to-face but I have exchanged emails with:

Douglas Preston and William C. Dietz two of my favorite authors and both very nice people.

i've never met her, but i've exchanged email with M Kenyon Charboneaux, author of Cri du Coeur and Blood Kiss.

ds

I've met Laurell Hamilton, Rebecca York, and outdoor humorist Patrick McManus. I'd love to meet Ray Bradbury and Clive Cussler, and mourn that I never got to meet Rex Stout or Isaac Asimov.

I've met Frederik Pohl. I took a science fiction class, and he was the professor's husband. She brought him for show and tell one day.

I second the desire to meet Kurt Vonnegut.

If by 'meet' you include queuing up to get your book signed by them after a reading and exchanging a brief word with them, then in that sense I've met Salman Rushdie, Martin Amis, Ian McEwan, Jeanette Winterson, Colm Tóibín, Louis de Bernieres, Julian Barnes, Iain (M.) Banks and possibly others.

I haven't met any author but i would like to meet one.
Stephen king or Clive Barker. They are stillalive and they will stay in history like Poe, Tolkin, LOvecraft and many more great authors. How would you feel if you had met one of them?

Harold Bloom
TC Boyle
Jim Carroll
Robertson Davies
Harlan Ellison
Chet Frederick
William Gibson
Christopher Hitchens
David Mamet
Chuck Palahniuk
Jane Smiley
Jon Stewart

I met Robert Jordan at a book signing which was much better than one might think. Not many people showed up so if people took the time to talk to him, he spoke back. He was impressive and even when confronted with "rumors" was not afraid to address them.

I've been to a few other book signings, but none went as well as the one with R.J.

*revives topic*

I thought it'd be nice to bring the question up again, since new members have come since last spring.

Being Danish I don't get the chance to meet most of the authors I read. I have met a few Danish authors, though:

Lars-Henrik Olsen whose series about the Norse Gods was quite amazing, as was his other series taking place in the Baltic countries iirc - I haven't read that latter one. He was giving a lecture at my school, 'twas back when I was 15 but I remember it quite well. He was so full of pent up energy. There was no standing still with notes or anything. He was marching back and forth appearing like a big feline behind bars. I was very impressed with his intensity and I think that's part of the reason I remember the things he said as well.

Josefine Ottesen, I met at my aunt and uncle's place. My fam and I was sailing during our summer hols, and we stopped by the port city where they lived, and coincidentally Josefine Ottesen and her family was visiting them that day, so we had a huge BBQ in the garden. Ms. Ottesen writes fantasy for kids aged 9-15. Way below my own category but I like her books. They're easy without being boring, and catchy and appealing without being mainstream. Suffice to say that their appeal did not lessen after having met the lady herself. She's one of those mothers who sews LARP gear for her kids - no wonder she writes fantasy :p

Then there are, of course, my university professors and the odd guest lecturer amongst whom I can mention Harold Bloom, David Hasties and Deborah Leigh Simonton.

I wish people would elaborate more. They just pour out a list of great authors and leave us hanging. What's that about? :confused:

Anyway, I mentioned in this topic that I've exchanged e-mails with Mr. Douglas Preston and William C. Dietz... Dietz I found to be much nicer and took a lot of time to answer questions with no problem. Really nice guy. I'd like to meet him, too.

Douglas Preston was nice and answered my question as well... but I got a sort of in-a-rush vibe... which is alright cause I'm sure there time is limited.

Now... I really want to meet Dean Koontz. I tried to find his e-mail address but I couldn't.

I met Pierre Burton when I was eight years old. He came to my elementary school so that students could interview him, and I got to shake his hand and everything. He was very kind, and I wish I had been a bit older when I met him, because then I'd be able to remember the things he said during the interview.

Also, I've met Julie E. Czerneda and got a signed book from her. She was hilarious and the short stories she told the group of people I was in were genious. I've also met Robert Munsch, who lived near my elementary school when I was younger.

I got to meet Alice Walker at a book signing. It was really amazing. Even just getting to stand there a few minutes while I got my books signed and got my picture taken with her. She was very gracious.

Gregory Maguire came in to sign stock once at my store. He was very polite. This was right before Wicked opened and he was just totally thrilled that his book was going to be a musical.

Edward Albee used to buy coffee at the local bookstore/cafe that I worked at.

I also got to meet Mark Danielewski (sp? he wrote House of Leaves). He and his sister Poe did a book/cd signing together. It was really interesting because her cd and his book related to each other so well. He was really cool.

Well as I'm in Australia we don't tend to get too many international authors come here but I've met:

Raymond E Fesit - signed copies of a hardback trilogy.
Garth Nix
Ian Irvine
Cecilia Dart-Thornton
Robert Jordan

I'd like to meet:

Thomas Ligotti
China Mieville
Steven Erikson
R Scott Bakker
George RR Martin
Gene Wolfe
M. John Harrison