• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Heartfelt Cases 1: The Collins Case

readsalot

The Collins Case

This is a mystery featuring 2 FBI agents and some crazy cases that come their way.

It's a $0.99 kindle, but it's free if you have Amazon Prime.
If you PM me, I am also willing to email you a copy if you'd prefer Word doc and can pay via paypal. Alternatively, I'm willing to email you a complete copy for free if you agree to review it on amazon.com.

Excerpt:
Chapter 1
Peaceful Night
Collins Residence
Fairview, PA
Rachel Collins had a perfect life. She loved her job as a medical doctor at a small, private practice in Pennsylvania. Her husband—Dr. Christopher Collins—was easy on the eyes and wonderful in every way that mattered. Their two young children brought much joy—and good-natured chaos—into their lives. God had certainly blessed them as a family. At least, she thought so anyway. Though he never put down her religion, Chris never promised to believe a word of it either.
Thank you for being good to us, Father, Rachel thought, tilting her head to the side and watching her husband crawl around on the floor with the children. She only wished that nights like this weren’t so rare. She kept fairly regular hours, but Chris worked at Millcreek Community Hospital, so his schedule had to be a little more flexible.
Sandy probably gets to see the kids more than we do, Rachel mused bleakly, thinking of the girl she hired to watch the kids while she worked. Tonight, Chris had persuaded a friend to switch shifts so he could spend time at home with the family.
What did you use to bribe him, Chris?
“No, Emily. Not yours,” said Jason, green eyes ablaze to make his point.
Rachel smiled, amused by the strained patience in her five-year-old son’s tone as he addressed his little sister.
“I have?” asked Emily, tears welling up in her warm brown eyes. The child’s bottom lip stuck out, and she shoved a finger into her mouth. Her brother grunted irritably but let her keep the building block clutched in her chubby right hand.
It amused Rachel that Emily, at the ripe old age of three, could manipulate her brother so well.
You’ll break hearts when you’re older, Emily Adele Collins.
Rachel smiled down at her daughter, admiring the waves weaving through the child’s blond hair. The pleasant golden color of both children’s hair came from Chris, but the waves were definitely maternally inherited.
Chris’s hair wouldn’t know a wave if a curler attacked it, Rachel mused.
“Here, Jay, finish this tower,” said Chris, drawing Jason’s attention away from Emily and the borrowed block.
Seizing upon the opportunity, Emily snatched up another block. Rachel’s smile twitched even wider at that, and she shifted her gaze to her husband. He kept his straight hair cropped short, revealing a broad, expressive forehead that usually announced his moods. His sea green eyes were set deep in his face, lending him a mysterious air that always fascinated Rachel. His nose might have been too large if his pleasant mouth and lips didn’t immediately call attention away from it.
The night had gone well so far with meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner followed by three-quarters of a Disney movie and some time with the building blocks. Next, would be story time followed closely by bedtime. Rachel would savor this night for a while. Though it was getting late, she stood another minute observing her husband and children.
When it looked like a round of horsey might break out, Rachel intervened. “I think it’s time for two little people to be off to bed.”
“No bed!” cried Emily. She dropped the blocks she’d been guarding so jealously and clapped her hands to either side of her face.
Jason went with a soft groan and a deep frown, but his disappointment was just as clear.
Rachel looked at their crestfallen faces. “What’s with the long faces? You’d think I’d just sucked all the joy from the world. Come on, let’s have a smile.” She broke Jason’s serious face by tickling his tummy.
Laughter replaced the mournful silence.
Chris swept Emily up off the floor. “You too, Princess, time for the Bedtime Express.”
Motioning Jason toward the stairs, Rachel turned to lead the way.
“Oww!” Chris cried.
Rachel whirled and smiled at the sight of Emily giggling and squeezing Chris’s nose.
Chris gently extricated his nose from the child’s grip. “That’s no way for a princess to act.” Without further comment, he buzzed and beeped his way to the bathroom for teeth brushing and potty time.
Hand-in-hand with Jason, Rachel followed her husband into the bathroom for the nightly adventures. Despite half the bathroom population being mini-people, lack of space made the preparations interesting. Still, it was a happy struggle.
Twenty minutes and two stories later, the kids were safely tucked in and kissed goodnight, so Chris and Rachel went downstairs to enjoy the rare chance to simply spend some time together. Rachel settled onto the couch and Chris joined her, pausing only long enough to turn the television to a classical music channel. Rachel leaned her head against her husband’s chest and rested contentedly. After a moment, she reached past him and grabbed her old high school yearbook from the end table. She chattered about the pictures while relishing the feel of his hands stroking her hair. The music mixed pleasantly with her voice until she fell asleep in Chris’s arms.
When she awoke hours later, it took Rachel’s sleep-slowed brain a few moments to realize she was nestled in her own bed.
Chris must have carried me.
Thinking she heard something, Rachel listened intently for several moments. Hearing nothing, she let sleep overtake her again and slipped into a series of peaceful dreams.
Her dreams would have been very different if she had known what the next few weeks would hold for her.

I forgot to mention here that I chose yesterday and today as free promotional days, so if you have a kindle you can try The Collins Case for free, though if you do an amazon search for it, please type in Heartfelt Cases The Collins Case or you may find a waaaaayyyy different book coming up :)

Back