• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from a newbie!

tanya duncan

Hi Everyone
This site was recommended by a fellow student so I am a very green newbie and I haven't had a really good look around yet as I am supposed to be studying and not playing on the www! I am studying to be a secondary English teacher so I am really interested in resources for high school English, reference materials, anything to do with teacher education but mostly what are kids reading these days, why are they reading it and what are they excited about in terms of reading and writing. Any ideas suggestions or criticisms are very welcome! I am currently looking for a picture book resource to use with Stage 5 learners (in Australia that would be kids aged 14 - 15). I am assuming this doesn't mean graphic novels but who knows? Personally I think graphic novels can be a very exciting medium if they are executed well, but that is not always the case. They can also be an interesting 'way in' to other cultures (particularly East Asian) where graphics and literature are not separated out as distinct and different components of literacy. I look forward to cruising around the site and maybe having some interesting exchanges about young people, books and reading!!
Best wishes to all
Tanya

Hi Tanya. Greetings from North Carolina. How are things "down under?" I've only been on this site once about two months ago, so you might call me a "re-newbie."

Unfortunately, being a grandfather, I have little knowledge of what young people are reading besides Harry Potter. I'll ask my 14 year old grand-daughter.

I am a writer of sorts. I published a novel last year called "Scarecrow in Gray." You can check it out at barnesandnoble.com or amazon.com. If I can impart any advice about kids in general, let me know. I raised three and now have four grand kids, so I know a little about kids and a little about literature and writing.

Good luck to you.

Tarheel

Hello I am new as well just saying Hi I am an historical fiction nut! Just rediscovering the delights of the Jinny and Shantih series I was an avid reader of these books in childhood until my mother through the whole lot out for which I have never forgiven her! Slowly replacing them though only two to go I spend all day on the net looking up old books and then ordering them Love rereading old favourites but not the opening of the credit card bill each month

Back