• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from Cecil

Cecil_Evans

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this forum, but have been around the internet for decades. I'm a voracious reader, but only a sporadic writer. Several times in my life, I have gone on a manic writing binge. Mostly short stories of questionable content. With rare exception, nothing worth publishing.
Lately, however, I have written a fantasy novel which I think is at least readable. I'll keep you informed as to its progress towards publication. Believe me, after my mother, you'll be the first to know.
And on a side note: Polly Parrot, your avatar, while it does start with P, is definitely NOT a parrot. I live in a place where all sorts of parrots (and parrotheads for that matter) fly around wild, and none of them look at all like that. ;)

-cecil

Hello Cecil,

I am aware of the differences between penguins and parrots, I just happen to like this photo. Whence the interest in me?

Also, when you feel confident enough about your writing to share it with more people than just your mum, feel free to post an excerpt in the Writers' Room.

Welcome to Book & Reader. :flowers:

Polly: I always like to start off by messin' with the moderators. Anyone who quotes Finnegan's Wake in their signature has my attention automatically. Have you read "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates"? Tom Robbins has a bit of fun with FW in that book.

I see. I haven't read the Tom Robbins novel, no. I've been too busy reading books for university - I'm taking a postgraduate in Modernist literature (hence the Finnegans Wake quote).

!Salutations Cecil!

What better place to share your nascent journeys of the imagination than a place like this, where people love reading so much they feel compelled to talk about it too? You'll be hard pressed to find a better environment for exhibiting your literary forays, so I hope you settle well and eventually find these parts conducive to sharing.

But enough Finnegan's Wake talk out of you. I've yet to meet someone who'd even bother lying about finishing it.

I'm starting a Ph.D on Finnegans Wake (no apostrophe!) and Ulysses in October so will have read it all by then.

I'm starting a Ph.D on Finnegans Wake (no apostrophe!) and Ulysses in October so will have read it all by then.

Nabokov would call that a fool's errand, but then he wasn't exactly thrifty with his barbs. I hope you prevail in illuminating the merits of a work which has thwarted the critical faculties of countless explorers before you. At least you'll have the bounteous Ulysses for respite.

But enough Finnegan's Wake talk out of you. I've yet to meet someone who'd even bother lying about finishing it.

Oh, I never said I read it. I'm just fascinated by a book that no one has ever finished reading. (something Joyce and I have in common!) That's why Polly can relax next semester, because the professor hasn't read it either.

I've not started reading it seriously yet, I'm in the University's Finnegans Wake reading group ("Wakey, Wakey") which makes a staggering progress if one or two pages a week. :D

Back