• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from Maine-I love illustrations

DenioPress

Hello everyone,

I am a female who lives in Maine and California. I have just started reving my grandfather's children's books and I am hoping to learn a bit about publishing and also learn about great illustrators. I would love to hear and recommendations!

Denio

I've an interest in book illiustration myself particularly in Arthur Rackham and Laurence Housman, Laurence Housman was a writer as well as an illustrator. I don't know if these guys are what you're looking for as they were working illustrators in the late part of the 19th century albeit Arthur Rackham worked as an illustrator up into the 20th century.

I regularly purchase a digital arts magazine and I appreciate just how vast a subject book illustration is.

I am a big admirer of Rackham but I do not know Houseman. I just looked him up and his drawings are fantastic. I love children's illustrations that aren't too primitive. I like Ralph Steadman's illustrations for Alice in Wonderland and Harry Clarke is another favorite. I will check out the magazine as well. If you think of any more illustrators along those lines, please pass it on!

Digital arts magazine is a generic description, not a title. The name of the mag is ImagineFX, available internationally.

Here's a critically acclaimed writer that also cuts it as an artist, Alasdair Gray. I've just finished his last novel Old Men In Love and the illustrations are beautiful, there are three cityscapes, classical Athens, Medician Florence and Gray's modern Hillhead in Glasgow add in all the graphic elements in the text and you have a book that's very much produced as well as written.

Erin Morgenstern who wrote The Night Circus is also an artist, and there was a lot of lovely imagery in the book.

Here's a critically acclaimed writer that also cuts it as an artist, Alasdair Gray. I've just finished his last novel Old Men In Love and the illustrations are beautiful, there are three cityscapes, classical Athens, Medician Florence and Gray's modern Hillhead in Glasgow add in all the graphic elements in the text and you have a book that's very much produced as well as written.

Thank you so much for introducing me to Alasdair Gray. I just looked him up and his illustrations are really wonderful-very different from what I have been viewing and I really like seeing the variety of styles out there so thank you!

Erin Morgenstern who wrote The Night Circus is also an artist, and there was a lot of lovely imagery in the book.

I really like the black and white and touch of red of these illustrations. They are very strong and eye catching. Thank you for passing her along to me!

Back