• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from the UK!

Gary Murning

Hello there,

I'm a novelist from the north-east of England and I just want to state up front that I'm not here to promote my own work (although I am happy to talk about it and answer questions, if people feel the need to ask), but, rather to talk about the books I love and enjoy.

I have fairly eclectic taste -- from so-called literary fiction, through certain types of genre fiction and even touching upon non-fiction, on occasion! LOL -- and I'm always looking for something different, a book that hadn't occurred to me, something I might enjoy, the hidden gem that only a few people have so far discovered.

In my teens and early twenties I loved horror fiction. I suppose it was writers like William Peter Blatty, Steven King, Clive Barker, Peter Straub, Ramsey Campbell et al who really introduced me to the delights of the written word. Yes, I'd enjoyed reading from early childhood, but these writers really captured my imagination, inspired me to write myself and, also, led the way to writers outside of the genre. From that starting point, I discovered writers like John Irving, Joseph Heller and Ken Kesey -- occasionally hopping back across the Atlantic and reading the likes of Martin Amis, Salman Rushdie and so on. I found an excitement about books that my teachers at school had never really inspired in me, even revisiting books I read for O-level English lit and finding their beauty (To Kill a Mockingbird is today still a special favourite from that period.)

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all.

All the best,

Gary.

Hello and Welcome!

You and I share similar reading histories and interests. And for me, as an aspiring writer, it is always nice to have a novelist on board to chat with. I look forward to chatting with you.

Do you have any works that are published or upcoming to be published?

Justin

Thanks for the welcome, Justin!

Well, I'm a little wary of talking about my work here -- especially since it's only my second post on the forum! -- but, yes, my first novel was published in August of last year and my second novel is scheduled for August/September next year. I don't really want to look as if I'm pushing my work here (seems terribly rude!) but more information is available on my website, should you wish to take a look (don't feel you have to!)

So what genre do you like to write in yourself?

Back