• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello

Landslide

Hello to everyone!!!

I've just registered to this forum because I love to read and I love to discuss the books I read, but sadly it seams that reading is becoming an "endangered activity" and it's becoming harder to find friends to discuss books with...

I'm hopping to find good book discussions here...

So I guess this is it. Thanks.

Oh, one more thing, sorry if I misspelled but I'm portuguese and a little out of practice with writing in english...

First, welcome aboard. Your English is better than most people I see posting on other forums so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only word I noticed misspelled was "seems".

I agree with your perception of reading becoming an endangered activity.

What do you like to read?

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I mostly like to read novels, especially mistery and crime stories. I'm a big Agatha Christie's fan...

Another of my favorite authors's is Isabel Allende.

I also like novels where real people's life story is mixed with fiction, like "Miss Potter: The Novel" by Richard Maltby Jr. witch was the last book I read.

I'm only sorry I don't have enough time to read all the books I want...

We too feel reading is under threat, but there are changes, websites like this are opening new roads to reading. Maybe it is an educational thing, though its great to teach Shakespeare and the War Poets at secondary. It would be even better if schools engage with contemporary writers and even local writers and readers groups - shouldn't kids and adults alike have access to this. Would this stop the decline in reading. Or maybe it's because all our high streets have the same bookshop chain, the independents allowed us access to new books and second hand too.

Concerning the learning programs I can only talk about the portuguese reality, and here I think that maybe the problem is that they insist on teaching the classics and let's face it, some of them are just boring... But I think the problem lies in the fact that kids aren't taught learning habits from an early age so it's normal that they want to read when they're 15 or 16...

The portuguese government is now implementing a Reading Program where there is a list of recommended books for kids since kindergarten till they are 15, some to be read at school and others at home. It's still too soon to know the effects of this program but hopefully it will plant some reading seeds...

Most of all I strongly think that more important than what kids read is to keep them reading... If they get the habit then they will have time to refine their taste...

Olha! Uma portuguesa!

Hey, welcome to this forum. You are definitely not the only one thinking reading is an endangered activity. ;)

Hope you like it around here. Folks are really nice and willing to help.

Diverte-te! E lê muito!
(Have fun! And read a lot!)

Dharma

Boas!!!
Não estava à espera de encontrar mais portugueses por aqui...
(I wasn't expecting to find any portuguese here...)

I'm already liking this forum very much!!!

Maybe we can discuss some portuguese books sometime. I have A Fúria das Vinhas by Francisco Moita Flores waiting it's turn in the shelf...

Back