• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hellsing???

Vespertilio91

Okay, as most know, I am a vampire fanatic! Woo hoo! But I was wondering if I should read the Hellsing series. I watched the entire anime series, which was only 13 episodes, but loved every second. I really don't know, though, if the anime differs from the manga, and if it does, does anyone know if it is even partially similar to where I would still like it? If I do try the series, should I skip the first couple mangas because I saw the anime? :confused: I know what I'm asking probably seems stupid, but I don't care.

Are there any other mangas like Hellsing? I'd like to hear about them too.

Yes, you should definitely read the Hellsing manga. After about episode six of the anime, the anime and the manga start to depart from one another. This is probably because the manga was not complete at the time the anime aired, and they had to make up things for the end of the anime that is not in the manga.

Also, the manga has more twists and turns in the plot, and is much longer. Plus, there are Nazis in it. Who couldn't love seeing vampires fight Nazis? It also has more comic relief, usually somehow relating to Seras Victoria, and a lot more characters than the anime. You would definitely want to read the first couple manga, too, because it's slightly different (funnier) than in the anime, and it might be hard to pick up on in later books.

One warning: this comic is more expensive than most manga, and manga's kind of pricey anyway. We're talking about $13 for each book, and there are eight so far that America has, anyway. But bookstores like Border's will let you read the books there. Just a couple days ago, I took three Hellsing manga into their cafe and read for two and a half hours, and didn't buy a single one. So try that if you want to read them but can't buy them.

EDIT: Oh, yes, and as for graphic novels/manga that are similar to Hellsing...Sandman doesn't have vampires in it, but it's gory, disturbing, dark, cool, and has immortal creatures in it. Each Sandman book costs about $20 at Border's, but at Amazon.com I saw them for $13. They're also not manga, but are DC comics, and they have cameos from other DC comics characters. I've noted that a lot of the Hellsing fans seem to also be Sandman fans. It's worth checking out.

OMG!!!! I read the first three manga in Hellsing and already LOVE them! I can't wait to get my hands on the next ones!! ^^ I like them thousands of times better than the anime!

Sandman sounds really good, according to what some of my friends told me.

I actually like the anime better, but I wish it was more detailed and longer. Which is why the sequel coming out soon will be AWESOME.

Vespertilio91 said:
You only like the anime better because Integra's bitchier.
Integra is the most awesomest female character in all anime. It is so nice to see a character who isn't naive, ditzy, ridiculously well-endowed with revealing clothing, and who doesn't gush over the men in her life. Integra is intelligent, beautiful, determined, very competent, and just plain cool.

And if that requires her to be a certain five-letter word referring to female dogs, then so be it...she's worth it...

#4 down. A five letter word that can either mean a reference to a female dog or an insult to female human...

that's a tough one...is it a whore? Or is it a bitch? Yeah, let's go with bitch. ^^ kidding ya'll.

Back