• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help a Saudi woman! Need a list of Great Books!

Iman

Hi, I love books have so all my life (inherited it from my father who actually has written a book!). Life changes us, and I am now in a stage of my life where I prefer non-fiction, would like to know more about the world and things that have happened and will happen. Science, political, culture, everything real.
I need help, because I am in the US now as a graduate student soon I will go home. I love my home, but unfortunately I will not have access to so many books in English. So I want help in buying the best books for my library before I leave.
I have already made a library for my children (bought boxes and boxes from ebay ;) ) I am determined to encourage my kids to love reading like me!
Help me find the books of the best thinkers out there, I am now reading a book "Chinese lessons : five classmates and the story of the new China / by John Pomfret". It is great I think I might buy it, only on pg 25 now.
I appreciate your help :)

Language:
The Language Instinct, Steven Pinker
Science and Sanity, Alfred Korzybski
The Tyranny of Words, Stuart Chase

Neuroscience:
Descarte's Error, António Damásio
How the Mind Works, Steven Pinker
The Blank Slate, Steven Pinker

Politics:
Failed States, Noam Chomsky
Hegemony or Survival, Noam Chomsky
Mediated: Thomas de Zengotita

Religion:
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
Breaking the Spell, Dan Bennett
From Terrorism to World Peace, Charles Meister

Anthropology/Evolution:
Guns, Germs and Steel, Jared Diamond
Darwin's Dangerous Idea, Dan Bennett
The Blind Watchmaker, Richard Dawkins

Economics:
Banker to the Poor, Muhammad Yunus
Capitalism and Freedom, Milton Friedman

I also recommend anything by:
Bertrand Russell
Erich From
Hannah Arendt
Gore Vidal
Robert Anton Wilson
Mary Midgley

Thank you

I will check these books out, do you know of a good ebook website? I know ebay sells books at cheap rates, but I thought maybe an ebook website would be cheaper to get a large collection.
Thanks

Some of the books that I would regard as essential non-fiction are:

PrairyErth - William Least-Heat Moon
The Making of the Atomic Bomb - Richard Rhodes
The Great Bridge - David McCullough
The Path Between the Seas - David McCullough
Endurance - Alfred Lansing
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Genius - James Gleick
A Gentle Madness - Nicholas Basbanes

Thank you

I appreciate all the suggestions. I am making a list of all the suggestions I get. Then I can look a little closer and pick as many as I can afford. :)

William Least-Heat Moon has some interesting things to say about the USA, that aren't mentioned in the world media whenever they're news. Blue Highways is a must!

I couldn't tell you anything about William Least-Heat Moon's politics or ideology. And, Blue Highways is a wonderful book. But, PrairyErth is unlike anything else I have ever read. He calls it a "deep map", and there is something deep, almost tidal, about the feel and pace of the book.

It's not Moon's ideology or politics; I mean his ability to unearth a USA that usually doesn't appear in movies, TV series and books, and that non-Americans who think the USA is New York and Los Angeles know nothing about. No one gives a damn about a little town in the middle of nowhere called Dime Box, but Moon does! And that's what makes him great.

Thanks again!

This is great! I love to read, but with school and kids I only have time to read textbooks!! But when I go home I will hopefully have more time to read.
My favorite place is the library (very nerdy I know), but back home we do not have public libraries in English that is one thing I wish we will gain in the coming years. For now I will have to make the best with what I can afford, and that is why these suggestions help me a lot. Instead of me investing in not so great books and finding out to late that I wasted my time and money.:eek:

i am reading The Passion of the Western Mind by Richard Tarnas at the moment. it's a brilliant introduction to western philosophy AND it's beautifully and lucidly written.

of course halfprice books (which is ebay related). do you live near a halfprice books store?

go to the pulitzer website and look up what won the award for nonfiction through the years. you will find great ideas there.

It's not Moon's ideology or politics; I mean his ability to unearth a USA that usually doesn't appear in movies, TV series and books, and that non-Americans who think the USA is New York and Los Angeles know nothing about. No one gives a damn about a little town in the middle of nowhere called Dime Box, but Moon does! And that's what makes him great.

My apologies. I misunderstood what you were driving at.
At any rate, you're quite right. Blue Highways is like a tour of the US, while PrairyErth is like a tour of time as seem through the lens of rural America.

Back