• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help!!!! Computer trouble!

ValkyrieRaven88

I'm on my family's laptop right now because the Internet on my computer is not working. I don't know how it started, because I hadn't installed any new programs or went in and tried to change anything. But it started saying that it couldn't connect to the wireless network, which it does sometimes. So I went to repair the connection, as always, and it told me that it couldn't repair because my IP address was invalid. I went to look at my IP address and it was all zeroes. I don't know how it happened. I thought maybe I had a virus or something--I'm not very computer-smart; I can use my computer fine but I don't get all the little details on how to go in and fix things. But anyway, I did a virus search several times and it came up with nothing each time. I hadn't downloaded anything recently off the Internet, either...I doubt it's a virus now.

I tried renewing my IP address, but it wouldn't fix the problem. I even went into Dell support on the computer--I coudln't go online for help because I still can't connect to the Internet on that computer--but I couldn't understand what I was looking for and the explanations in it were written so only a computer genius could understand them. I'm stressed out. I want to restore my computer to a week ago to see if that fixes the problem, because I know my mother did that once, but I don't know how she did it. I can't ask her because then she'll want to fix it all herself, which will result in her being in my room for ten hours, which will further resulit in her getting frustrated and screaming at me. I can't call Dell because she'll find out. So I'm really in a bind. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Somebody...help?:(

Okay, well my dad is a computer genius, I'll go ask him. Never fear, my dad has been fixing up retarded computers for over 20 years!

It looks like you've covered the basics, but it is worth:
1) Switching everything off for a minute or too (including the router)
2) Start > Run > type "cmd" > type "ipconfig/ renew"
3) Reinstalling the adapters software

Also, try going into Control Panel > Classic View > Network Connections > chose your connect and right click > properties > IP address (where you see zero's, try the default Network IP address): 192.168.2.2

Ha! I fixed it on my own--thanks for the help, though. I'm currently typing on my own computer in my room. I'll let you know if I have any more problems. Hold on...I have to let it out...YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...it's been doing this for a few days, and I was admittedly very frustrated. Forgive my enthusiasm.

Ha! I fixed it on my own--thanks for the help, though. I'm currently typing on my own computer in my room. I'll let you know if I have any more problems. Hold on...I have to let it out...YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...it's been doing this for a few days, and I was admittedly very frustrated. Forgive my enthusiasm.

Well done; there's nothign worse than being 'locked' out of your own PC! How did you get it fixed?

I figured out how to restore it to a week and a half before the problem started. I still don't know exactly how it managed to get screwed up as badly as it did. Needless to say, as soon as it was back to normal I ran spyware and virus scans and came up with nothing...and I updated my security and everything. So it should be a lot more secure now. I actually learned quite a bit about my computer through this accident...like what an IP address actually does. I was a little fuzzy on that. I just knew that it had something to do with the Internet.

Back