• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help figuring out a title.........

cotton

Hi,

This is my first post here and I hope someone can help me. I read a book not too long back about two brothers who flew across the country from New Jersey to somewhere in southern California. These kids rebuilt an old Piper Cub and had the adventure of their lives. I believe they made the flight during the late sixties or the early seventies. If anyone recalls this book and can provide me with the title, I would greatly appreciate it. I enjoyed it so much that I would l would like to obtain a copy of it.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Could it be Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck?

From Amazon.com
Writer Rinker Buck looks back more than 30 years to a summer when he and his brother, at ages 15 and 17 respectively, became the youngest duo to fly across America, from New Jersey to California. Having grown up in an aviation family, the two boys bought an old Piper Cub, restored it themselves, and set out on the grand journey. Buck is a great storyteller, and once you get airborne with the boys you find yourself absorbed in a story of adventure and family drama. And Flight of Passage is also an affecting look back to the summer of 1966, when the times seemed much less cynical and adventures much more enjoyable.

Give that lady a cigar.........

Thank you so much. Have you read it? This has been driving me crazy for weeks. Now I can get some sleep :)

Tim

Glad I could help :D

I haven't read it - but it sounds interesting. Was there a TV movie made out of this story? Sounds like it could be.

Ell

I don't think its been made into movie, but the story seemed well suited to the screen.

I dropped by your site........very nice.

Riding On A Lawn Mower

Whilst wer're on the subject of books & Films & identification ......... does any one know a recent film (approx last 4 years) about an old guy who decides he needs to go to visit his brother, whom he hasn't seen for most of his life, before he dies (or something like that).

He is pretty poor and doesn't have much money however he does have a ride-on lawn mower so he decides to leave his daughter in their run-down home and make the journey on that !! It takes him about a month to make the trip and along the way, traveling at about 10mph, he meets many different people and helps (or is helped by) them in different ways.

It's a gentle, feel-good film, not too demanding but enjoyable. I've always wondered it was based on a book and if it were a good read.

I thought the film was called *The Straight Story* or *The Short Story* but can't find it on the Internet Movie Data Base. Straight (or Short) was the guys surname IIRC

Anyone know the film, and the book (if there was one).

TIA:cool: Dave B

Confirmation

Yes, Dave, that's definitely The Straight Story, directed by David Lynch. As the title suggests, it's a linear storyline with very little of Lynch's trademark "oddity" (not counting the basic premise of the story, that is!).

Tobytook

Back