• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help! I know one of you wonderful people will know it!

navybrat75

I read a book years ago when I was 12 or 13 that I absolutely loved but it got lost when we moved! We lived in Iceland at the time and I was at that age that I wanted to read romance novels but my Mom was very smart and knew I was not ready for them yet. So she let me read this book that was amazing, but when we moved to Maryland it got lost. I do not have any idea of the author's name, the title of the book, or even the characters names, but I remember some of the details, it's been about 16 years, so please forgive me. Please read the details and see if you have read this book and let me know. I would dearly love to read this book again!! I have tried to find it for 16 years!
1) it was a really thick book!
2) it was set around the mediteranean probly around the time that the romans were in power (not sure exactly of the time period)
3) the majority of the book is about the daughter, but first you meet the mother who is a healer and very respected. the daughter is born out of wedlock (of course. lol)
4) the daughter leaves the mother. i think it was because someone needed healing and she went to see to them because her mother had grown to old to travel, and her mother had taught her all she knew.
5) this i remember vividly, she healed a queen who was very possesive and wanted to keep her in her kingdom. there is a ceremony in which the daughter thinks she is going to be beheaded, but they stop the blade at her neck and the queen placed a ruby necklace around her neck that symbolized the death of her old life and the beginning of her new life with the queen.
6) there was already a healer in the land who did not like her. the servants in the queens chambers are all made mute so that they cannot tell her secrets, and the current healer teaches her to perform the operation to make the servants mute. she thinks it is a terrible practice and so when she is supposed to perform the surgery she doesn't complete it. the man she was supposed to perform the surgery on is nordic and they do not speak the same language but he understands he must be mute.
7) she and the nordic man become friends and they escape together. they have one night of passion (ooooh) and she has a daughter. I believe this daughter's name is Chloe.

That's about all I can remember. If you have read this book and can tell me the title, I will love you forever!! Thanks for reading, I know this is a loooong post. lol And I promise I will do my best to read through everyone's posts and see if I can help another person suffering as I am. :)

Updated P.S. 5-10-06 I got to thinking and I don't know if i'm getting this confused with another story or not but... I think the daughter that most of the story is about was adopted by the healer. I think she was abandoned and that is how the healer wound up with a child.

correction: part of it may have taken place in cypress

also i think the daughter may have been abandoned and adopted by the healer

Back