• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

help identifying book

Arrdu

hi,
I read this one book several years ago and after failing at trying to find it on the internet or any book stores due to my own lack of memory of the book I am hoping that some one can help me.

The book cover may have been a green background with a mans face on it, and a sword infront of the face, not sure if this will help. For some reason i keep thinking that the books title is "Highlander" or "highlanders" although it is not a part of the well known "Highlander" series.

The book has several focuses, the main focus was on a man (a highlander) who had an ability to see dead things (or rather their spirits) this talent was not a wide spread one. This guy comes across as a warrior who has chosen to live alone(from now on referred to as The Highlander). The book finds him traveling to a hut in a snowstorm, he was attacked by a bear that had been possesed, although he shot it with his flitlock pistol and the bear should have died it survived. He was able to see a "second face of the possesor" This hut belonged to a friend of his. when he arrives the hut had been attacked by the very same bear. The ocupants of the hut (one man, his wife, son, and daughter) were killed. The adults had been ripped apart and the girl had climbed a tree in the hopes of escaping the bear, she froze to death up the tree. The son survived the attack and when the highlander arrived and fought the bear off again (failing to kill it again) the boy asked if the highlander had seen the bears "second face" thus showing that he had the same abilities as the highlander. The boy also saw his sister up tree. however when he looked at her he saw her spirit and kept asking why she wouldnt come down.

Another focus of the book is some kind of war that is going on in the lowlands. A ruler (possibally another highlander) is drafting in the highlander people in order to fight his war for him. Although this ruler is portrayed as an evil/bad ruler it is later revealed that he is doing what he can to protect the lowlands/highlands.
During the description of the war a character is presented. This man is also another highlander but this guy is an awsome shot with a flintlock rifle. (possibly a member of a rifleman devision) This guy dies at the end of the book in the town/city of the previously mentioned ruler.

This technology used in this book is flintlock pistols, swords. There is no electricity or any modern day comforts.

I realise that this is a very long post, i apreciate anyone who actualy reads this all the way through. any help/ thoughts on this book would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks Arrdu

Back