• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help remembering 2 books

chancetx

Hi - I'm hoping someone can help me remember the titles of two books I read within the last 10 years or so. Both are thrillers/mysteries in the Grisham vein, both by male authors.

The first is by a Texas author and set in Austin, Texas. The plot is very similar to Scott Smith's "A Simple Plan". A man is out walking his dog late one night when he stumbles across a bag full of money. I can't recall what happens over the course of the book, though I think he ends up being chased hunted by gangsters/mafia-types. This one might have had a limited print since it was a Texas author. I was living in Texas at the time I read it - probably around 1997 or 1998.

The second I probably read around 2000/2001. The main character was a 20-something male college student estranged from his father. I think the father dies and somehow the protagonist and his roommate end up in Alaska with the protagonist's uncle. I think it turns out the roommate was working for the father to keep tabs on the son for some reason. Obviously, I can't remember all the details. Would love to re-read it and anything else the author might have written. This was a mainstream paperback I bought at Waldenbooks but I must have traded it.

I know it's a needle in a haystack but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

~ chance

The one set in Austin may be one of these:
James Magnuson - Windfall
Rick Riordan - The Devil Went Down to Austin

Windfall -James Magnuson

That may be the one, WickedWitch. Even if it's not, it sounds like a good read. Thanks so much!

~ chance

Back