• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

help with citing a reference

firefighter7796

I am writing a book right now and have a question regarding citing a reference. Do I need to contact the writer or is simply making a footnote or endnote enough? What I am asking is, let say I used part of an article writing by John Doe. I referenced it correctly, now do I need to contact John Doe to get his persmission to use it?

Thanks

I think it depends on how you reference it. If you are just going to say "In his book, BLAHHHH, John Doe claims/states/ect that this happened blah blah blah", all you need is an end note. However, if you are going to reprint a portion of his work I believe you need permission of the publisher.

mehastings is correct. Ideas cannot be copyrighted, but actual text can. So, you are free to use another's ideas without requesting permission--only a citation giving credit is necessary. But to quote or excerpt text from another source, permission may be required. The permission must come from whoever holds the copyright--often the publisher rather than the author.

Back