• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help with meaning

clueless

In a Borges' poem I've just read 'To a nightingale' there is a clear allusion to Oscar Wilde, although he is not mentioned by name. Instead the author calls him 'Agarene'. Does anyone know why? I cannot think of anything to justify that appellative.

PS. It's not homework, just trying to understand that bit of an otherwise perfectly transparent poem.

Found the answer. The reference was not to Wilde but to the author of a much older story, in which Wilde based his.

Clueless,
For those of us who tried to find the answer, but are still clueless, and dying of curiosity, might you please tell us where you found the answer? :confused: Pretty please with sugar on top? :) :)
Peder

Doing a better search than yesterday. I gave up trying to think how Agarene might relate to Wilde and started thinking that maybe the 'nightingale and the rose' story came from somewhere else, so I searched on sources for the story and found a persian sufi story, which had been translated to English by Thomas Moore. I also found a poetry book - by a Persian 13 Century poet - called 'The Nightingale, the Rose' which had been translated by one of Wilde's acquaintances. Perhaps reading the latter book - which he would have done as there were not many other homoerotic poetry books at the time - found allusions to the story and decided to write a versio of it.

Back