• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help with publishing questions! Please!

laboi_22

I am an aspiring writer needing a few pointers. I just finished off a mystery novel titled "The Gift". I have never been through the ringer with publishers before and I know its hard to get published. Everywhere I have read while conducting research suggests that I get and agent. Is this recommended? Is it necessary? What are the initial costs of publishing a book? If someone could just guide me into that direction it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance!

Justin

There shouldn't be any initial costs for you in publishing, unless you are planning to self-publish. Agents take a percentage of the money they get for you.

Best to get an agent. You do this by whittling down the pool of agents to just those interested in your kind of book and then writing to those few and asking them to look at your manuscript.

Make sure your letter is 100% error-free. For instance, it is the 'wringer' not the ringer, and I would not characterize working with a publisher as being put through a wringer, if you want to have success.

Also, I think there is a well-know book of the same title, so you might want to consider a title change and also how you will pitch your book to an agent, e.g., what genre is it, what is the arc of the narrative? These are questions the agent will need to know up front.

You might want to get yourself a book on how to get published. Writer's Market is good, as is The Shortest Distance Between You and a Published Book.

Actually, laboi_22, it's not so hard as many make it out, provided you've worked really hard to create an interesting story with solid characters that's nearly mistake free. But the thing to remember is that an editor who purchases manuscripts (called an "acquiring editor") is like the rest of us. S/he will take the path of least resistance, so if one book is good, but needs a lot of editing, and the other is good and is nearly ready to put on the shelf, the first one will be rejected.

If you haven't already joined a writing group or have a critique group or partner to look for flaws, that should be your next task. Finding an agent is a lot easier if the book is a quick sell to an editor they know! Good luck! :D

Cathy

Laboi_22, I'm afraid I disagree with Cathy and Novella because it is bloody difficult to get a goddamn agent or a traditional publisher. It took me a few self-published books and a short story award to get a proper publisher and now an agent - after a properly published novel. This said, it is probably easier to get a publisher than it is to get an agent to look at your manuscript. Check every agent's submission requirements and you'll understand what I mean. I have a rule of not saving rejections because I prefer to be positive. But If I did, keep them, before I got to where I am now, rejection slips alone would make a novel and a sequel, maybe even a prequel.

In a typical catch22 scenario, it is relatively easier for a publisher to consider your work if it is coming from an agent; it is easier for an agent to consider your work if you have been traditionally published or have won an award from your writing or have received a traditional offer of publication and would like the agent to negotiate the terms of agreement. But if you are a member of a society of authors who provide contract review as part of the services, then the agent is superfluous unless, of course, you wish them for further works.

All I can advise is for you to get your manuscript in the best possible form ever; get someone to read it, preferrably an approved appraiser/ critique group (as Cathy has mentioned) who will not only review your bloopers but your structure and plot (!!!). You may have to pay for this service and it is worthy of it. Ever heard anyone say their kid is ugly - even if they have close set squints and chipmunk masticators? Exactly. You may love your work, but it is not necessarily perfect. Only and only after a third objective party has commented upon your writing, and you have revised it according to your judgement, should you send it to an agent or a publisher. The rest is name, market research, family ties, contacts - even before the quality of your writing - deity and good luck!

Just don't give up.

Wait a sec, Eugen. I never said it was easy.

Most people who publish with big houses through traditional channels start out by getting shorter works accepted and published in literary journals, magazines, collections of stories, etc. That's where lots of fiction agents look for new talent. Cold calling anyone or sending a manuscript out without a good, error-free initial contact is not effective, no question.

What an agent brings to you is much more than MS review. A good agent will have placement knowledge and contacts way beyond what an author alone will have. They will know a particular editor's tastes and specializations and be able to talk your MS up in person. No amount of good critique from a reading group will open that door.

Self- Publish if you can watch out for middle men

Self-Publishing has its rewards but it also has its dark side. Book companies who would drive your work out of the marketplace if it starts to do well. This is a simple program for the largest booksellers to embark on, they simply advertise your book without your permission at such high prices that the public will go no further with buying it or, they will offer it for sale at a low low price and keep the customer waiting for his order until he eventually gives up This practice is taking place as I speak but sadly I am not permitted the freedom of speech because I am then accused of Spam. I do not know exactly what spam is supposed to mean because I am new to this computer world but I believe it has something to do with advertising ones own product. How one can talk about their work without it being considered spam is then beyond me.

Wait a sec, Eugen. I never said it was easy.

Most people who publish with big houses through traditional channels start out by getting shorter works accepted and published in literary journals, magazines, collections of stories, etc. That's where lots of fiction agents look for new talent. Cold calling anyone or sending a manuscript out without a good, error-free initial contact is not effective, no question.

What an agent brings to you is much more than MS review. A good agent will have placement knowledge and contacts way beyond what an author alone will have. They will know a particular editor's tastes and specializations and be able to talk your MS up in person. No amount of good critique from a reading group will open that door.
Novella, you appear to know a little about publishing, I would like to send you a question but I dont want to send it onto the site perhaps it will be considered spam, how can I do this?
rayw1711

If you're looking for an agent, there are a number of agents who have blogs, like Janet Reid and Nathan Bransford. You might well find it helpful to read their blogs to find out what they're looking for in queries.

Back