• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Henry Bellamann: Victoria Grandolet

venusunfolding

I'm pretty sure no one else has read it. So I'm probably posting in vain.

I really enjoyed this one. It's a little different from the rest of Henry Bellamann's stuff.

This one actually reminded me a lot of Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca, if Rebecca had taken place in Louisianna.

Like Mrs. De Winter, Victoria marries and moves to an overwhelming house. White Cloud (the house) seems to have personality all its own, and seems to be haunted by the pasts of The Grandolet family.

The longer Victoria stays in the house, the more she starts to change into someone else, she can hear the whispers of the past all around her. Not only that, but it looks as if the past could repeat itself and ruin a lot of lives.

Through the entire book Bellamann does a wonderful job of taking you into the wilds of Louisianna. You can almost feel the opressive heat and humidty the characters keep complaining about.

Now after 5 books, Bellamann is easily becoming one of my favorite authors. It's a shame most of his stuff is out of print.

Back