• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Herman Hesse: Steppenwolf

mrkgnao

My old boss came into the bookstore today and asked if I thought he'd like Hesse's The Steppenwolf... Now, the thing is I've read it three times and I love it, but I'm so emotionally attached to it I couldn't really guess whether he'd enjoy it... He asked (knowing I read some weird books) whether it's a "normal" book - and I said, I think so. It's not too difficult to read. Or is it? Is it a "normal" book or do only weirdos, who identify with both Harry Haller (at 1st and 2nd reading) and Hermine (at 2nd and 3rd reading), like it? ;)
Another factor is that he loved Coetzee's Disgrace, which I thought was boring and pretentious - and at the same time I know people who would summarize both books as "middle aged men whining". :eek:
Has anyone else read Steppenwolf? Loved it? Hated it? And if so: emotionally or intellectually? (If the distinction can be made, but that's another thread :p ) Is it a "normal" book? Would you recommend it to just anyone? Would you recommend it to someone who loves Coetzee? ;)

*mrkgnao*

I read Steppenwolf a few months ago. I really enjoyed it but would probably benefit from another read one day. I wouldn't say it was a normal book as it's not told in a straightfoward manner. Unless you know the person's reading habits it's not the sort of book I would give to just anybody.

I didn't get far at all into Steppenwolf. I gave up after maybe 30 pages or so (can't really remember). It just didn't interest me. I wasn't particularly thrilled with Disgrace either. I recall skimming the last half of it, just to finish the thing. :rolleyes:

My impression was that it started slowly, seemed a bit old fashioned and repetitive, and then took off. By the end I really liked it.

Back