• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hey Guys

Laura173

Hey

I'm new to this forum but not new to reading :) I work full time as an editor and when not editing I can often be found snuggled up on the sofa with a good book or writing a review for my book review website Read Dream Relax. I look forward to meeting some other book lovers here - my husband isn't a reader and it can get quite lonely...

Laura

Heh, If you read for a job how can you be bothered to read in the house?

Just kidding, I know it's your vocation as well as your occupation.

Welcome.

Lol unfortunately I don't get to read fiction in my job - it's all non fiction and more often than not it's on dull subjects too! Hopefully you'll see why I escape into my dream world as often as I can now ;)

Yikes, no wonder you read fiction in your spare time.
Does being an editor ever detract from your enjoyment of a fiction book?

It doesn't usually detract from the enjoyment of it however if there are a lot of spelling, grammar or punctuation errors it can start to really annoy me as I'm trained to pick up on things like this. I actually read a book a few months ago called 'To Be Maria' and it just irritated me from start to finish due to the poor writing. I researched the author afterwards and found she had paid an editing company to fix the book before she published it - I was just quite shocked with the final result. Saying that though, many people loved the book if you believe the Amazon reviews.

Laura, would you ever consider reading one of my books if I sent you it as a word doc? I'd like the opinion of a professional editor. Depending on which genre you like, I've probably got a reasonably short sample for you. Absolutely no pressure, the more opinions the better. I asked about the annoyance factor because even just editing my own stuff I find myself cringing when books put out by Random House and the Penguin group ... or even small time publishers... have glaring mistakes.

Nice review by the way. Which Hunger Games book was your favorite?

Hey Readsalot.

Of course, I'd be happy to do that. I should let you know though that I edit non fiction for my day job (press releases, website copy, articles etc.) however I'd definitely be happy to read through it and check for spelling, grammar, flow etc. My email is laura@readdreamrelax.com if you want to send it over :)

I loved the first Hunger Games book the best. The second one was okay but too similar to the first in my opinion. I liked the third one too, but the first was definitely the best!

Okay, I sent you 3 stories to choose from with brief descriptions of each. They're different styles. I gave you a word count on them so you could better judge which style you'd prefer. Read 1, all, or just parts, I value your opinion. You can put comments in a word doc directly or a separate word doc or just email comments. People who write stories tend to miss mistakes easier than others b/c they sort of know what it's supposed to say.

Ah, yes, I liked the first Hunger Games book best, felt the same about the second.... but I didn't much care for the 3rd, mostly just because the character was ticking me off by that pt :)

I've got your email, thanks! I have some free time over Christmas so I will read through them all then and let you know what I think :) All three sound like great stories!

I didn't like the ending of the Hunger Games, I was actually quite disappointed that she got with Peter instead of Gail as those two were made for each other.

Thanks.
Ha, yeah, I heard the audiotapes of the books...so I don't think it helped that every time I heard Peeta, I thought Pita bread :p

Back