• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hi All! I'm wracking my brains trying to find this book...

Joudie

Hey everyone!

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I'm trying really hard to find this book and, for once, Google is not being very helpful.

It's a children's book of scary stories. I can't remember the title or author, but I have a pretty good memory of what the cover looked like: It was of a boy under the covers, reading a book with a flashlight with a scared or surprised look on his face. Looming behind him, on top of the covers, is a HUGE green monster, with his arms out and over the boy. The kid is busy reading but seems oblivious to the monster. The title is in big loud letters, most likely in yellow. The entire cover is rather vivid.

This book was checked out from the library by my older sister when I was between 8 and 10 years old. So that makes it between 1994-1996, although it could have been written before then.

There is one short story in there I remember. A baby is left on the doorstep of a family and the note attached to him says his name is "Dum Pling" but they call him "Dumpling" because the letter is badly spelled. Turns out he's an alien baby and soon his alien family comes back to take him home. It has a humorous moment because the baby's name is actually "Dum" which means "prince" in the alien language.

Don't quote me on this, but I also think there was a "bloody Mary" type story there too, where there were kids who were daring each other to recite "bloody Mary" three times in the dark and the creepy stuff starts happening.

Any help on this would be so appreciated! Thank you!!!

I thought about that, but I'm sure it's not a Goosebumps book because one book had a bunch of short stories in it, not one full story in a series. I'm trying to recall at least a small part of the title, but no dice...

Back