• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hi' Can anybody recommend any good Thriller/Suspense books?

I second Michael Connelly. More of a cop thriller, but very believable and suspenseful, with great character development IMO. The Harry Bosch series is one of the best of its kind.

Hi there, I'm new to the Forum but if its suspense and action you want there's a mass of great , really great books out there try Michael Connelly's Dective Harry Bosch, start with Black Ice and work your 3ay up. Lee Child's Jack Reacher ex MP start with 'The Killing Floor', Andy McNab ex SAS start with 'Remote Control and his two autobiographies Immediate Action and Bravo Two Zero (It's a true story need a stout heart in places.) also Harlan Coben, Steve Hamilton, Giles Blunt, Bernard Cornwall and, if you love description you must try James Lee Burke. Aw gosh the ist goes on and on. Enough there to keep you busy.

corythosaurus said:
My favorites:...
Michael Crichton - Shere, Timeline, Prey
I believe he meant SPHERE ... ;)

I wholeheartedly recommend anything Crichton writes. Don't let the movies turn you away from the Jurassic Park books. They comprise a cautionary tale, not so much about genetics, but about "the progress of science" and especially about extinction. I found it extremely interesting that in both books, he included children from broken homes. On the surface of both books, he's quite didactic, but underneath, the critique of childrearing in dinosaurs applied to our present society is startling. Is the no-fault divorce an extinction event?

I would go back and point to The Andromeda Strain as a classic thriller, a protoype of the genre.

New Harry Bosch coming out YAY!!

Patterson is ok. Gets a bit tedious (as I have stated before).

Lee Child is really good, as is Dennis Lehane.

There are soo many authors and too many things to do besides read!

I'm no fan of suspence/crime/thrillers, but I loved "Beloved Poona" by Karin Fossum. Think you should try it.
:)

I recommend any of Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's Pendergast books (The Relic-Reliquary-The Cabinet of Curiosities-Still Life With Crows-Brimstone). Also F. Paul Wilson's Adversary Cycle or Repairman Jack books.

There are a few books I would recommend that are wildly different from each other but all appeal to my sense of mysterious and offbeat thrillers

The Dark House - Sedgwick
Two O'Clock Eastern War Time - John Dunning (Also Booked to Die)
Death Is a Lonely Business - Ray Bradbury
Unburied - Charles Palliser
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathan Lethem

I am reading Body Double by Tess Gerritsen it's very good.Has me on the edge of my seat trying to figure it out.

rosemini8 said:
did you hear anything about the new patterson book, london bridges. did you read anything by cornwell. her new new trace is a little slow in the beginning but the tempo picks up later on.

London Bridges was INCREDIBLE! I thought one of Patterson's best - I would recommend reading Big Bad Wolf before London Bridges so you are familiar with the villan.

I would say anything by Philip Margolin - Sleeping Beauty was very good. He has a new one out that I haven't picked up yet. Also, Night Falls by Nelson Demille is a good one. It is a bit slow in the beginning but definitely picks up.

Garthbooks said:
Hi,
I'm not into sci-fi though. I loved Intensity by D.Koontz, The Green Mile, by S.King and i've read just about all the James Patterson books.
Any suggestions would be so appreciated! thanks! :)
...how about trying one that you won't find easily because it's not from a major publisher. My thriller, THE CIRCLE OF SODOM, has received some very fine reviews. Check out my book's page on Amazon. You'll also see some recent photos there - taken on my recent visit to Chicago where I was a panelist at the LOVE IS MURDER conference...

Cheers,
Pat.

Deavers New Book

Deaver has a new book coming out in June called the twelfth card...it continues the Lincoln Rhyme series. I'm currently in the process of interviewing him for my website, as soon as it is up I will post a link. If you want a good thriller, you have got to try Deaver. It is fast, yet detailed. You will not want to put it down.

As far as trying new authors. Of course...everyone should, I love bargain binning books and things like that. The fact is, however, most people have limited time and want to stick to things they know they will enjoy, from quality authors they trust. Such is the nature of the industry. But good luck in your endeavors!

books in the thriller/mystery genre!

Here are a few awesome authors:
- Michael Crichton
- Jeffrey Deaver
- Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
- Phillip Margolin
- Matthew Reilly
- James Rollins

Two fairly new authors I thought were really good:

Karin Slaughter & Jillane Hoffman - still reading The Last Witness which is JH's second book; very impressed.

I'd like to add James Herbert
Nobody True
Once
Others
If you liked Koontz and King you'll like him
also Ken Follett - The Third Twin
and one of my faves Jack Higgins - Solo

Deaver has a new book coming out in June called the twelfth card...it continues the Lincoln Rhyme series. I'm currently in the process of interviewing him for my website, as soon as it is up I will post a link. If you want a good thriller, you have got to try Deaver. It is fast, yet detailed. You will not want to put it down.

As far as trying new authors. Of course...everyone should, I love bargain binning books and things like that. The fact is, however, most people have limited time and want to stick to things they know they will enjoy, from quality authors they trust. Such is the nature of the industry. But good luck in your endeavors!

I like to go to the used bookstores near my house and pick out random authors. I've found some of my favorites this way. A cheap way to try out new things. Most are 50+ % off and you can trade in old books for credit towards them.

Great Read

One of the absolute best thrillers of recent times is Absolute Power. It is scandals, lies, betrayal, maipulation, action, mystery, suspense and redemption all wrapped into one great story. I highly recommend it!

Back