• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

High School Shootings & the book the kid carried

gooky

I heard that kid that shot those others last week was carrying this book called "Think, Woodchuck." I looked it up on Amazon and ordered a copy. He had notes in it or something. Wierd. Has anybody heard anything about this?

gooky said:
I heard that kid that shot those others last week was carrying this book called "Think, Woodchuck." I looked it up on Amazon and ordered a copy. He had notes in it or something. Wierd. Has anybody heard anything about this?

No! And don't want to :(

Why would you read something like this? Before, his interests were ignored, and now you care all of a sudden what he reads? I hate the obsession people have with serial killings and school shootings. It brings forth exactly what the perpertrators want, attention. Then the next depressed person that looks to become famous will commit mass murder and people will wonder with awe why he did it.

gooky said:

Not Heard of this book!!! and would not become interested in a book just because a boy was shot by some idiot who was reading it................... :mad:

Actually, it is a great book. I found a copy at the used book store. I don't know why he went on a rampage with it.

It is about some crazy high school kid that lives in a house by himself, for some mysterious reason, and he digs a hole in his basement to live in while going to school having wierd interactions with people. Think Woodchuck. He lives in a hole. He thinks a lot. So the title.

Yes sure. If you want to completely ignore why people do the bad things that they do. Americans are getting better and better at avoiding anything insightful.

gooky said:

Not until you men it, Tis not for me and this obsession some people have with killings and school shootings, Well needs playing DOWN! Not UP!

I can't help but think there's only one person who could have rated this thread. And to put 5 stars on it is really.....

oh, never mind....

Hey moderators, is there a way to un-rate, de-rate, or clear ratings?

Villified again... I am interested in the book he read. Why not? Everyone is so into Moore and he's a wonderprick. Is it wrong to wonder what was read? I'm not interested in making what happened a FOCUSED event. If there was a book involved, I want to know what it is and I want to read it.

If you associate the book to the shooting as they associated one of the others to Marylin Manson then you need to sit back and see that people do what they choose to and blaming it on a game, a book, a movie or a musical type is pathetic.

I'm not interested in the book, but I don't feel people shouldn't be. I'm researching sex offenders right now just because they seem to be an enigma, and I'd like to see what we actually know about them. Why not do the same with school shooters?

I have to wonder if media coverage contributes to the spread of such crimes simply because the killers always seem to be looking for some kind of glory. Well, when school shootings seem to get as much airtime as professional sports, I'd say someone desperate see glorification. I don't blame TV, music, movies or video games though. I have a rant a brewin', but I don't think this is the thread for it.

Sex offenders and school shooters don't have the same recidivism rate. One cannot even begin to compare the two!

I wasn't trying to make a comparison. I was simply stating that I'm interested in understanding one type of criminal, and I understand if people want to investigate another type of criminal, the notorious school shooter. Reading the book could be part of that investigation, but blaming the book wouldn't be unless the book was entitled How to Shoot Up Your School in 3 Easy Steps, and said things like, "Because you bought this book, I know everyone at your school hates you, and you suck. To teach them a lesson, go to school and kill them after you send me $500." Then, the author could probably go to jail.

In my opinion, it is one think to try to understand why the killer's motivation, and another thing is to glorify it. Because, some people seem to admire the killer's actions, almost wishing they had done something like that themselves, but being, should I say, not blindly bold enough to commit it. This admiration is exactly what the kids are craving for, and desperate needs lead to desperate actions. So, in my opinion, you can try to understand the killer's perspective, but not deem it as cool since that only instigates the problem. Basically, finding the golden middle is the key.

The interesting thing about the book is that it doesn't condone high school shootings. The main character is just in a position of need, someone that a person like that guy could sympathize with. I thought it was very informative, just as you are investigating sexual offenders, you may have to read books about the way their minds work. It is no different.

gooky said:

I still can't find any reference to this, gooky. Can you tell me your source?

Back