• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hilarious Reads

I recommend:
"Night of the Avenging Blowfish" and "Begin to Exit Here" by John Welter. Very funny, very subtle.

StarChild42 said:
Most recent thing I read that made me laugh out loud was Jerome K Jerome's Three Men In A Boat. Which really surprised me!

Right there at the top of this page :rolleyes:

Phil :D

Those who like Bill Bryson and Tony Hawks might also want to check out Australian writer Peter Moore, especially his guide "No Sh*tting in the Toilet", which is certainly enough to put the virgin backpacker off. He has a pretty good website here .

Although not related to the above, Brit Tim Moore has written similar books. I've only read one, a trip around the British Monopoly board called "Do Not Pass Go" by "Continental Drifter" and "French Revolutions" sound good.

For a bit more blarney for "Round Ireland..." fans, there's Pete McCarthy's books "McCarthy's Bar" and "The Road to McCarthy" too.

On a related subject, but fiction, is William Sutcliffe's "Are You Experienced?" which sounds to me like a far more realistic account of what backpacking in India is really like than the romantic notion that is often put across.

I also gave as a gift to a hardened traveller friend a wicked mickey take of the "Lonely Planet/Rough Guide" type book, the Jetlag Guide to Molvania - the land that dentistry forgot, which he said was spot on.

For funny crime, check Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and the novels of Carl Hiaasen.

Grammath said:
I also gave as a gift to a hardened traveller friend a wicked mickey take of the "Lonely Planet/Rough Guide" type book, the Jetlag Guide to Molvania - the land that dentistry forgot, which he said was spot on.
Oo! I'd forgotten about this one! I second that - very humourous, either as cover-to-cover read or a 'bathroom' reader. You can pick it up anywhere in the book and be entertained!

Another one I thought of is John Stewart's America, which contains a fair amount of hilarity. Although I think his show 'The Daily Show' is only screened in the US and Canada, this book stands alone as a sardonic look at American politics. And not just to one party or leader, either!! The way it is set out makes it look rather like a magazine in parts - lots of colour, little tit-bits here and there. And it's a little like the website 'The Onion' in it's writing. Even if you've never given a damn about American politics, the writing of this one makes it well worth a look at in your local bookstore. Sorry, it's difficult to describe beyond that!!

Plum Series - Evanovich

Janet Evanovich's series about Stephanie Plum is HILARIOUS. Stephanie is a flailing female bounty hunter with a penchance for blowing up cars! The series has ten novels and a novela. The eleventh novel is coming out this summer. The first book is called One For the Money.

The 'Ronan the Barbarian' series by James Bibby is great.
Its a bit of a middle earth piss take -with elves that get hammered by drinking sea water, hence their love of the sea!
There are plenty of humerous plays on words -One character travels up a mountain called Tor y Amos!

Forgot about Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, that's really funny. Some of Ben Elton's books aren't bad either.

Recently found and read Cold Comfort Farm - indeed a funny book, probably a lot more funny if you remember all those required reading dreary English lit rural novels that the book is sending up. Seems to strike at the heart of a problem I have with a lot of drama or literature, i.e. the fact that many plot problems could be resolved in 15 minutes or less by anyone with a 3 digit IQ.

Back