• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

historical fiction anyone?

magemanda said:
I managed to plunge through Cleopatra by Margaret George and found it heavy going right to the end, so I would say that is her writing style.

I agree. I found her book on Mary Queen of Scots to be almost tedious- and yet I went and bought her book on Mary Magdalene lol. Her book on Henry VIII was not bad though.
For great historical fiction I always loved Jean Plaidy.
She has several different series but I particularly liked her Plantagenet series and her Georgian series.

I've read the Cleopatra & Mary Queen of Scots books by Margaret George and I agree that something was just difficult about them. I finished both and there was a lot I liked about the stories but for some reason they were still just tedious to get through. Maybe it has something to do with her timing or her descriptions because I did walk away from the books wanting to read more about Cleopatra & Mary just not anything else written by her.

I picked up Elizabeth I, by Alison Weir and The Queen's Bastard, by Robin Maxwell and I am hoping they are a bit better.

StillILearn said:
Alison Weir writes wonderful historical novels:

The Wars of the Roses
The Princes in the Tower
The Life of Elizabeth I
The Children of Henry VIII
Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings
The Six Wives of Henry VIII

All the books you listed are non-fiction. Nevertheless, they are still excellent.

I really loved "The Queen's Fool" by Philippa Gregory. Also, a friend of mine absolutely loved Gillian Bradshaw and she'd always be recommending her books to me. I read a few of them and they are quite well written! That's who I need to look for, in fact, next time I go to the library!

Back