• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

History of Martial Arts, a view into the origins of the most popular martial arts

The Dave

I dont know if there's a book about this, but this is very interesting to me. I'd like to know if anybody knows of a book that teaches what different martial arts there are and what their origins are.

For example:
Karate origins
Kungfu origins
Jiu Jutsu origins
Ninjutsu origins
etc

I'd like to know how and why each were formed. I'd maybe want to become a martial arts historian. Does anybody know of a good book?

Not sure, but I'll be watching this thread for ideas, as it's interesting to me too. I've seen some books on some martial arts websites, and in some shops that sell martial arts equipment and weapons. Check some of these out, and if you have any results, please post a message!

Hello Dave, sorry I mean The Dave,

Try searching here.

I just bought somebody a few books on Karate by Shingo Ohgami. But I think they are more about explaining the techniques and analysing them from a scientific and theoretical point of view. I can give oyu the names if you're interested.

The Dave said:
I dont know if there's a book about this, but this is very interesting to me. I'd like to know if anybody knows of a book that teaches what different martial arts there are and what their origins are.

For example:
Karate origins
Kungfu origins
Jiu Jutsu origins
Ninjutsu origins
etc

I'd like to know how and why each were formed. I'd maybe want to become a martial arts historian. Does anybody know of a good book?
I know of no one book that deals with all, an entire world of fighting tactics would make a large book. I also hope that you are including Western arts as well, although it doesn't seem like it. Shame, if so.

Secrets of The Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan by Oscar Ratti & Adele Westbrook should answer all of your questions concerning Japanese arts.

I know there are many books on the Shaolin, that should be easy.

Mauy Thai, I know of no book that deals with it, but I know a look on the net will find sites that include it with Thai history.

I can't remeber the name of it, but search for a book on Isreals military history and you'll find, please forgive me I don't remember the name of their hand to hand combat style.

There are tons of books concerning warfare in Europe, that should be easy.

So, you see have oine book that includes all wouldn't be very informative. Just a list. I would suggest study military history and you will find the information you are looking for.

Back