• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hogfather

Champagne

I hadn't realised that the TV adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather was a live-action version and not an animated one like Wyrd Sisters, which I found quite disappointing.

I was reading about the new live-action version of The Colour of Magic that's in production at the moment (at least, I think that's where it's at), and they mentioned Hogfather, so I bought the DVD (came out at Amazon a couple of months ago). I was really impressed with it - it stays close to the book but doesn't get bogged down in special effects, and Death has those wonderful blue sparks in his eyes. It must have been one of the last movies Ian Richardson made, and I see that Christopher Lee is taking over as the voice of Death for The Colour of Magic. I wonder if they're really going to try and do the whole series.

I never much liked The Colour of Magic as a book (usually if people ask me about the order they should read the Pratchett books I suggest they start with Equal Rites, which is more representative of the series), but if Hogfather is any guide, it might be quite an interesting movie.

Wait. What?

I had no idea that any of the Discworld books were made into movies, animated or not.

I watched The Hogfather on TV during the holidays last year and that made me want to read the Discworld series just for the character of Death. I've read two of them so far, Mort and Maskerade, and enjoyed Death in both of them. Enough to continue reading other books.

Hogfather was a two-part film, made and screened by Sky in Christmas 2006 in the UK. Personally, I dreaded it – how do you do justice to Pratchett? – but found much to enjoy. Tragically, Ian Richardson, who wonderfully voiced death, died last year.

The Colour of Magic has been filmed by the same people (and combined with The Light Fantastic, I think). It was screened in the UK at Easter. Since I don't have good old Sky One any more, I didn't see it.

Unfortunately, I can see no indication on Amazon of when it's going to be released on DVD.

Back