• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do I find out the technicalities of... (for a book).

GatorDeb

I'm writing a book, and I need to find out the procedures, technicalities, and steps when someone is in a trial and is claiming Not Guilty Due To Insanity. I want it to be real, from the time they pick the person up, to the time the verdict is read, where to get laws for states (I'm in NV and so will the character), etc. I want it to feel real. Thanks!

I don't know if this helps (and you've probably already tried most of these) but some ideas would be to...
  • actually sit in on a public trial in court and take note of the legal language, process, etc.
  • if you know any criminal lawyers ask them about court procedure, and if you don't, try and set up an appointment with one--many would probably be willing to help
  • research cases in which a person pleads insanity--there are a lot out there, and some may have books and movies based on them too
  • a lot of journalists, lawyers, etc. research certain cases extensively and then write books about them, including the legal process, use of evidence, and such
  • watch Court TV!
  • look up the laws of your state regarding insanity pleas and murder cases (if your book has a murder)
  • read crime novels that have similar topics--for example: I've never read this book, but it may be worth taking a look at
I hope I've helped, and good luck with your book!

Back