• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you find books to read?

biotech

Do you still use a newspaper to read articles or reviews on books to help you find a book to read? Or, do you use the internet exclusively and websites like this to get the information you need in choosing a book? Or maybe you still enjoy browsing through the books in a bookstore or library? However, it could just be recommendations from friends. Anyway, how do you search for books you want to read?

Last edited:
Well I am busy collecting all the books I want on my e-reader so I search online for those but I still like to wander into book shops and see if anything looks interesting. Same as with BAR I keep an eye out to see if anything might be with reading. :)

I don't use reviews for much at all, unless I know the likes, dislikes and pet peeves of a reviewer its hard to assess the value of their review ie a person who hates a certain style of writing which I like isn't going to give books I like a positive review so their reviews are useless to me.

My process for selecting what to read isn't simple. Blurb, genre, cover, author, recommendations, and some indefinable quality that just grabs my fancy - merge all of those together into one ...

Finding books - I randomly search online - new book lists, what's on sale, by author, by genre, genre lists, top 100 lists, subject lists.... and of course any suggestions that come out of this forum. (My book collection has grown considerably based on suggestions from here)

I tend to look up reviews after searching for a particular genre I am interested in.

For me, it's like a process. I move forward by writers. I always watch their interviews or writings for magazines or blogs and try to find whom they are affected. You could imagine this process like climbing a tree. Trunk is my main writers, branchs and twigs are the other writers. And these writers are becoming trunk and giving me a chance to know new branchs.

I just wander into the presence of books and they leap out at me, grab on to my sleeves and trousers and won't let go until I promise to take them home.

I have a very similar problem lol but I'm fussy when it comes to the point of actually signing the adoption papers

I donate and pick up from the British Heart Foundation and I increasingly go to Glasgow Libraries. BAR has helped to broaden my taste.

I donate and pick up from the British Heart Foundation and I increasingly go to Glasgow Libraries. BAR has helped to broaden my taste.

Certainly done that for me too - perhaps not broadened as such but certainly introduced me to a bunch of authors I would not have discovered on my own.

Back