• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How do you listen to music?

I don't know. I think i listen to the lyrics, when I have nothing else to do, otherwise I let "drive" the music through me. When i hear music and I'm feeling a really strong emotion, mostly sorrow, then i "put" it into this song, and when i hear this song later again, I have the same emotions again, feels wreid because you have no reason to feel like that!!

I don't have music on as a background to something else. I like to really listen to the lyrics, as they are very important to me, (especially when it is Mr S P Morrissey singing). I also like to sing along when I'm alone!

A song usually catches my attention with the music or just one certain part of the song. I will hear a song several times before I actually listen to the words.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
I find it near impossible to sort out the lyrics of most songs I listen to, so i search them on the net! ^^

that's me, and mostly i find pretty interesting things! sometimes the lyrics are so different from the music. i try to explain that: you hear a song which has a pretty funny sound, but when you read the lyrics it's about a man who abuses his girlfriend or something like that!

and after i got the funny music and the cruel lyrics i got a totally different image of the song!

hay said:
Home sweet home...

:p not really. It was just too........ quiet.

toonmom said:
A song usually catches my attention with the music or just one certain part of the song. I will hear a song several times before I actually listen to the words

yes.

honeydevil said:
i find pretty interesting things! sometimes the lyrics are so different from the music. i try to explain that: you hear a song which has a pretty funny sound, but when you read the lyrics it's about a man who abuses his girlfriend or something like that!

and after i got the funny music and the cruel lyrics i got a totally different image of the song!

Time ago, I was caught by the rhythem of one song from Maroon 5. I thought it was not bad, then after several times of listening, i thought i need to know what the song was about. Gee... I wished i had never checked it :eek: :( :mad: :eek:

I know that i've been mad in love before
And how it could be with you
Really hurt me baby, really hurt me baby
How can have a day without a night
You're the book that I have opened
And now i've got to know much more

The curiousness of your potential kiss
Has got my mind and body aching
Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
How can you have a day without a night
And now I've got to know much more

Like a soul without a mind
In a body without a heart
I'm missing every part

Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

Do you think it makes a song better if you are able to get the meaning just by listening to the music and the sound of the voice? Does it matter?

Lyrics, I must listen to liyrics. When i get a new cd i spend days just listening to that cd until i know all the lyrics, and what that song is about. (i ususally listen to political rock bands that have a real message) but once i know that lyrics and the message behind that i use music as background sound and what ever else.

Peace Love ane Equality
Audie

hay82 said:
Do you think it makes a song better if you are able to get the meaning just by listening to the music and the sound of the voice? Does it matter?

No, i think it doesn't matter, it's just, that it is sometimes really interesting to find out the real word, but sometimes i think the music makes it!!
It changes, it depends on the song!!

I guess it depends on where I am and what I am doing. If i'm at home I generally have background music on, I don't pay much attention to the lyrics and generally just let it wash over me. However when I'm in the car the style of music I listen to is different and then I pay more attention to the lyrics :)

AudiePhlute said:
Lyrics, I must listen to liyrics. When i get a new cd i spend days just listening to that cd until i know all the lyrics, and what that song is about. (i ususally listen to political rock bands that have a real message) but once i know that lyrics and the message behind that i use music as background sound and what ever else.

Peace Love ane Equality
Audie

I used to do that. Sometimes i listen to music for someone's voice, but the ones that stay favourites for years are the ones where the lyrics mean a lot to me. If I hear songs enough I learn every word, so when I did a production of Guys and Dolls I knew it inside out. I even learned all the words to a piece called Tehillim once, and didn't understand any of it!

If I wake up in the morning with the same song that I had the day before I know it's time to listen to something else!

I always have a song in my head... am I the only one who does?

Ice said:
However when I'm in the car the style of music I listen to is different and then I pay more attention to the lyrics :)
I belive there has been a study of how music affect peoples driving. It showed that some types of music made you drive faster and more agressive.. Apparently We Come One by Faithless was one of the worst in the test...

sarah33 said:
I always have a song in my head... am I the only one who does?
You are not the only one, I constantly have a song playing in my head... So annoying when its a song you just don't like.. :(

hay82 said:
I know that i've been mad in love before
And how it could be with you
Really hurt me baby, really hurt me baby
How can have a day without a night
And now i've got to know much more

The curiousness of your potential kiss
Has got my mind and body aching
Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
How can you have a day without a night
And now I've got to know much more

Like a soul without a mind
In a body without a heart
I'm missing every part

Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

ermm. I think it matters. But i would like to listen to its sound first

watercrystal said:
ermm. I think it matters. But i would like to listen to its sound first
Just imagine the sound of the best song you have ever heard, the multiply that by a factor of ten, then you'll nealy be at the heavly sound that is Massive Attack's music.. :D

hay82 said:
I belive there has been a study of how music affect peoples driving. It showed that some types of music made you drive faster and more agressive.. Apparently We Come One by Faithless was one of the worst in the test...
Your post intrigued me so I had a quick look. Apparently in research published by the RAC they list the following songs which help/hinder your driving:

Music to avoid includes:

Wagner "The Ride of the Valkyries"
Mussourgsky "Night on a Bare Mountain"
Verdi "Dies Irae (Requiem)"
Motorhead "The Ace of Spades"
Kylie Minogue "In Your Eyes"
So Solid Crew "21 Seconds"
Prodigy – "Firestarter"
Basement Jaxx – "Red Alert"
Faithless – "Insomnia"

Music that will help driving includes:

The Beatles "Here Comes The Sun"
Dido "Thank You"
Bach "Cello Suite No.1"
Will Young "Evergreen"
Robbie Williams "Angels"
Allegri "Miserere"
Gary Jules – "Mad World"
Lemar – "Another Day"
Sugababes – "Too lost in You"
Blue – "Breathe Easy"
Norah Jones – "Come away with me"

Apparently Busted, Blazing Squad , Barry White and other 'up-tempo' music are to be avoided too.

Oops :eek:

hay82 said:
Just imagine the sound of the best song you have ever heard, the multiply that by a factor of ten, then you'll nealy be at the heavly sound that is Massive Attack's music.. :D

woah... that sounds a bit more complicated than my text book. imagine, and multiply, subtract.... :p

Ice said:
Apparently Busted, Blazing Squad , Barry White and other 'up-tempo' music are to be avoided too.
In my case Busted is always music to be avoided, one of my friends made me crazy by playing that music, I still haven't gained my sanity..

I can easily imagine that the songs in the lists would have that effect. Those songs in the "drive better list" are really relaxing.

And Watercrystal if you get the chance I would recommed you to listen to Massive Attack - Prayer for England, then you can skip the math part.

Back