• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How many times.......

Genie

Just out of interest, I thought I'd ask 'How many times would you read the same book?'

People think I'm mad because I like to read the same books over and over again. (Providing they are good of course!) To me books are like films. If they are good and enjoyable, why not watch them again? If a book is good and enjoyable, why not read it again? Some people say there is little point in reading or watching something more than once as you already know what is going to happen at the end. What are your thoughts?
6.gif

I can honestly say that I've never read the same book more than once. But just because I haven't yet doesn't mean that I wouldn't. For me, a book would have to be really, really good for me to read it again. I have too many unread books on my shelves, and they're all calling my name, "Read me!"

Books and movies alike I only read a few more than once. When I read or watch a movie I like storylines I've never read before, even similar storylines can be different. If I do read a book twice it might be because its part of a series and I want to familiarise myself with the book again.

My sister is mad. She can't fall asleep unless she reads from the same book every single night: The Most of SJ Perelman. Every time she sleeps at my house I have to find that book. It's an obsession. Mad I tell you!!

Genie said:
To me books are like films. If they are good and enjoyable, why not watch them again? If a book is good and enjoyable, why not read it again? Some people say there is little point in reading or watching something more than once as you already know what is going to happen at the end.

I agree with you, Genie. I keep all my books and often re-read ones I really liked. I don't see anything wrong with this at all. In fact, I truly can't understand people who only read a book once, and then throw it away, saying that they know what happens. I find this very strange. If you leave it long enough between reads there will be a lot you have forgotten anyway. Often on a second read you can pick up subtleties you missed the first time round, especially if you rushed the first read. And what about the nostalgia of returning to a childhood book? A good book deserves to be re-read, in my opinion. :)

It's rare that I reread anything. If anything, it'd be to refamiliarize myself with a story because a sequel has come out or something. But even then, that's rare. There are too many books out there I want to read, so why would I keep going over the same story over and over when there's so much I've yet to sample?

That's why I'm a library patron rather than one who buys all my books.

Halo said:
In fact, I truly can't understand people who only read a book once, and then throw it away, saying that they know what happens.

Who said anything about throwing them away? :p Even if I don't plan on re-reading a book I'd never throw it away. Maybe I'll re-read some of mine sometime, but at the moment I just want to get through as many as possible in my to-read pile. If that ever runs out (god forbid!) then I would read something again. :)

There are just too many books out there I want to read without slowing myself down by re-reading ones I have already got.

I hardly ever re-read. The only ones I have read again are 'The Shining' (King), 'The Great and Secret Show' (Barker), 'The Hobbit'(Tolkein) and 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' (Bradbury) which I am just about to finish. There are a few others I may re-read someday if I ever get through my 143 books to-be-read, which isn't very likely, since the list will always grow longer! :D

I have a couple of favourite books I re-read often, however I also tend to re-read all the books in a series when a new book is published.

The most I've ever read a book is 4 times and sad to say, it was Dragonquest by Anne McAffery. I was really into that series when I was 13-16. These days I rarely re-read unless it was something I read for school. I never read the entirety of many of those books, so I re-read every once in a while.

there are certain books I will reread such as 'A Christmas Carole' I also have reread Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, "A Midwife's Tale" , as well as Good Omens, Practical Magic, Lost country life, white's 'once and future king'
there are quite a few history books and historical biographies I have reread.
for me going back again is like visiting old friends. I find my prespective has changed over the years and some books being reread are like all new books to me, as I see them from a different angle.
Dickens of course is a tradition, it just wouldn't be winter or the winter holidays without a walk with Dickens.
I do plan on rereading my entire library once more before I die.
( gee I am an old broad so maybe I should get started rather soon?)
vi

I'll read a book over.

I don't just reread my favourite ones. I'll reread something when I'm bored, or when I'm stuck on the train, or when I wander into the library at lunch, and just feel like some mindless "escapism". Or when I have nothing else to read. I don't buy many books, so I don't have the shelf full screaming "read me".
My theory is that because I read so fast, i often feel the need to go back and secure the pieces of the puzzle. I know I read one book so much I knew whole sections off by heart, another when i read it, I sat down and read it three times in a row. Though I don't do that normally. And there are some books I can't reread (like basic mysteries, though I can reread murder ones), and when I reread books, often there are parts I'll skip.

My little sister has just read the Wizard of Oz. In fact, she just told me she's read it 7 times, and this is her 8th. Perhaps rereading is genetic???

Herenya said:
Perhaps rereading is genetic???

Actually now you mention it I've just realised that I'm the only person in my family who really reads. :eek: My mum reads occasionally but not very often where as I read everyday, but apart from that I don't think I've ever seen anyone else in my family even pick up a book. No wonder they're always complaining they are bored.
I must admit I don't read very intellectual books, mainly fictional comedy romance but still. I don't understand people who don't read!

I reread my favorite books all the time, especially the funnier ones when I'm feeling down. If I'm just having a crummy week I will read Douglas Adams or Tom Robbins and I feel better.

I'm reading Dr. Zhivago for a second time because I really love the story and I recently saw the new movie and wanted to compare the two with the book fresh in my mind.

Back