• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How much books do you read per year?

bobbyburns said:
if I lived in salzburg I wouldn't watch tv either. in my opinion, you live in the most beautiful city in europe. I'd be climbing mountains to calm myself down.

Yeah salzburg is gorgeous!!! But I'm not much in mountains or hiking. Just looking at them is calming enough. Every time I climb on a hill, my face takes the colour of a tomato and my legs wobble around like soft spaghetti.
Furthermore Salzburg is quite famous for its great amount of rain (we call it "Schnürlregen" which means something like: "rain pouring down like strings/ cords").

salzburg.jpg

i read about one per week, but sometimes it takes me a bit longer if i'm out of town or the book is harder to chew, so for me it's about 35 - 40

I'd say an average of one a week. I work night shift and have loads of time to read. Makes for a boring job, but alot of reading. :)

Gizzmo said:
Originally Posted by Gizzmo's sugnature
Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it

lol. so i decide i will never stop in the middle of the book.

wow. you guys seem have really fast reading speed. *admir-ING*

Gizmo said:
I'm reading all the time, so all told I finish about 100 - 150 books a year. Reading is a good thing to keep my mind occupied and it prevents me from watching TV all day. :D

If you read 100 books a year, how come you still can't write english correctly?
How "much" books?
I'm not being pedantic: I genuinely can't understand it.

Ledley King said:
How "much" books?

Uh, sorry.
So it's "How many books ....?" ?

Ledley King said:
How "much" books?
Perhaps some of them are in a language other than english.

Gizmo said:
Salzburg is quite famous for its great amount of rain (we call it "Schnürlregen" which means something like: "rain pouring down like strings/ cords").
"Cats and dogs" and "Schnürlregen" hehe. In Sweden we call it "spöregn" (rod/cane rain).

I read about 30-40 books a year. The amount of books I devour pretty much depends on my mood.

Wolhay said:
Perhaps some of them are in a language other than english.

"Cats and dogs" and "Schnürlregen" hehe. In Sweden we call it "spöregn" (rod/cane rain).

I read about 30-40 books a year. The amount of books I devour pretty much depends on my mood.

Thanks! :D
I'm from Austria so my mother language is German.
Cheers!

Gizmo said:
I'm from Austria so my mother language is German.

Dito! *waves to Gizmo* But I think reading in English has helped me a lot learning the language. My teacher loves me, at least :p .

Last year I read about 25 books. This year I'm on track to read about as many. But - I have taken on a new goal of reading at least 60 by 2006. Why? Because I have 100+ unread books on my shelf at home, and I feel guilty when I buy new books. I even bought a book on speed reading and tried to teach myself, but it didn't work very well. Besides, I like to savor the pages, not glance at them while trying to read a paragraph per second!

I agree as well. At least, when reading for pure hobby and enjoyment. Is it a race to read those 100 books on your shelf?

I can see speed reading to be very beneficial at other times. A lawyer, for example, would have a great advantage by being capable of speed reading.

Adversely, I think speed reading is becoming too common with the media journalists and politicians. They seem to take everything out of context - or maybe that's just apathy and ignorance. :confused: New thread anyone?

I think things like speed reading don't really work. I mean, I've never tried it myself so I don't want to judge, but usually I get the feeling if I TRY to read more quickly, I miss things. :confused:
The only way to read more quickly is to read :p . That's what wisdom I have learned during the past few years. I started reading when I was three and there never was a time when I didn't read. And now it's easy for me to read 100 books per year. And I still enjoy every word in every book!

I, too, have been reading since I was three, and I have a very quick natural reading pace. The more you read, the faster you get. Your eyes and brain learn how without you even trying. :cool:

Exactly! I never even noticed that I'm a fast reader until we started reading books for school and I was usually finished before the others even reached the middle :p .
Well, I consider myself lucky, because the faster I read, the more books I can read in my life! :D

This year I read about 50 books and there are still three months left. So in the end it will be probably about 70-80.

I probably read about 20 - 25 books in the years that I read a lot. I go in spurts, and in some years I hardly read anything at all.

I've never kept count, but I would think my average is about two books a week.
Interestingly, I find that I read more and more books every year, though I've always been a fairly big reader.
That being said, I'm not a particularly fast reader overall. Naturally, it depends strongly on the type of book... A Stephen King or Evelyn Waugh book will go by much faster than, say, Ulysses, but that's natural. I sometimes do wish I was a faster reader though... I find that I can read very fast when I put my mind to it, while still getting the "feel" and retaining what I've read, but my natural, comfortable pace is noticably slower.

The speed-reading discussion here is somewhat interesting to me because of this. I know people who generally are much faster readers, and whose reading experiences probably are no less than mine because of it. Some say that speed reading, up to a point, helps, because of the way you take in the words, sentences and structures.
What I've done the last couple of weeks is have a simply written book (i.e. with rather drab language) that I pick up from time to time and make myself read faster than is my common pace. Why? Training, basically. Pointless? Perhaps, but worth the experiment.

That being said, I don't have any interest in doing what's called "speed reading," I just want to be a fairly fast reader. Speed reading seems to be more about picking out keywords etc and gulping down information, certainly not something for leisure reading of novels, but more practical. I read up a bit on it once (oh joy, how cute) and the techniques include lots of silly tricks like first scanning just the first and last words on each page, then sort of doing a cross-hatch read of the page. No matter how practical it might be, I'm just not willing to attempt it.

Brevity's a charm, eh?

Back