• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

how much do you write per day?

valboyz2000 said:
My theory is that I am so afraid of not writing "perfectly," I paralyze myself before I even get started...

Anyone else have this problem?

:eek: Me!

But maybe perfectionism is one of the fear.

I don't have a set amount each day. It usually depends on how much free-time I have and what mood I'm in. ;)

I'm only a teenager but I write out of free will. As a home-schooler I haven't been put off by having to write stacks and stacks of essays, I love writing. So this is how I write:

Usually in a day I write about a thousand to a few thousand words, if I'm working on something. Sometimes I'm writing something really big, like the start to a novel (that will never get finished) or an idea for a computer game. If that's the case I usually write three chapters or so, chapters about the size of average young adult novels.

I've been writing since almost as long as I can remember, and I think my memories date back to when I was about 4, so I probably started after then. I remember when I was really young I'd sit at computer unable to read or write but still holding keys down and watching the screen fill with jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj. Does that count as writing?

I've always wanted to write. I've always been ambitious with writing. When I was little I'd write complicated words, even though I didn't know how to spell them. I wanted to write 'pronounce' once, and so I somewhat phoenetically spelt it 'puranons'.

I write heaps and heaps, documents and documents, but I never finish much more than little novellas - my definition of a 'novella' is a mini-novel, about the size of five or six short stories and divided into chapters. And I'm too nervous about what I write to show it to my instant family!

I once entered a short story in a competition but a bunch of pathetic effortless things won. Now I've decided that no form of art is a competition - it's about self-expression.

I'm getting further and further away from the topic, I think. But see now I've gotten into this I want to keep writing!

One reason I always wrote was because I wanted to escape reality. I made up my own worlds and characters and all sorts of things, and had great fun. I don't understand how people can simply refuse to use their imagination. I think they're way missing out!!

One thing I've noticed about my writing is that I always try to have it so grammatically correct. In my education I never learned much about 'predicates' and 'subjects' and all that stuff. I just read many books and learned to detect when a sentence just didn't flow right. I think I have my method of schooling to thank for my love and development of writing, although home-schooling isn't perfect in every way.

One day I hope to have something published. All I need is a bit more skill and confidence!!![/COLOR]

AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS TO SPEND WRITING!!!!! :p

I'm a teenager, too! I have been writing for a long time-- I don't know when I started. I would read a book (as I love to do) and a million and one stories would come to mind and I would jot them down. The book I'm writing now is in my favorite genre-- myths. I started it after reading The Belgariad Series and the Mallorean Series both by David Eddings. :p

How much do I write each day? I think it depends on the day. Some days not at all, and some 30-50 pages. A lot depends on WHAT I'm writing -- whether a non-fiction article for a magazine or newspaper (which takes a lot longer, because you're trying to cram all of your ideas into a set number of words), or fiction. And even that's tricky to discern, because dialogue goes much faster than description. Right now, I'm editing an old work that I can't use any more (an X-Files tie in, and the market is dead) into a paranormal romance with new characters. The events are the same, but since the people are different, it's a whole new thing.

How old was I when I started? Really late. I was 35 before I set a single word onto paper, and simply discovered that I was really, really good at it. I was always a reader, and I guess the timing and the flow of fiction soaked in well. :D

Did I always want to? Nope. I spent years of my life never considering the possibility. I don't have voices in my head like most writers. I'd probably be a terrific ghost writer for someone, because I can take an idea and execute it well (no, not killing it! LOL!) but my own ideas are limited. It's why I have a terrific co-author who DOES get great ideas.

If your wish is to write, then write you must. But understand that the wish doesn't always just magicially happen. If writing doesn't come naturally -- if you have to struggle to put the ideas in your head into a cohesive form on paper -- then you must study. The ART of writing is at least as important as the INSPIRATION of writing. Fortunately, there are tons of classes and workshops and books available to help you with art, and there's no shame in having a desire but not the skill. Skill can be learned; desire can't be.

Good luck!

Cathy
Penguins could write if only they had fingers!

nelka35 said:
How much do you write per day? How many pages, for how long?
How old were you when you started to write?
Did you always write, or did you think that you wanted to write and didn't?
As you can surmise from my question, that is my plight, and I am trying to figure out how normal this is. And whether my wish to write is no more than a wish...

Since time is at a premium in my life, the quantity of writing can vary from none at all to pages and pages in a day, depending on what I have time for.

I started writing when I was about 9 or 10 years old, after having read "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton and becoming fascinated with first-person fiction.

Since that time I've always written. It's my past-time, my outlet, and my therapy. I started to keep a journal regularly about 4 years ago and I write in that at least three or four times a week -- sometimes as therapy, sometimes to explore an idea, or just to make notes I can refer back to when I have time to write at length.

The only way to discover whether writing is a whim or a vocation (which is not the same as a profession), is to do it. Writing is a discipline like any other. Keeping a journal has allowed me to keep writing, even if I'm not feeling particulaly creative.

Good luck to you.

Irene Wilde

novella said:
I have to say, I think being a writer IS about output. Thinking about it is fine, but unless those words hit paper, it's hot air. It's one of those things everyone thinks they can do, but it's the doing that counts.

I've been writing professionallly since 1987 and, IMO, if you don't produce, you're not a writer. I mean, in theory you can say I think I could be a writer if I actually sat down and wrote, but unless you do it, you don't have anything except what's in your head, which is thinking, not writing.

Frankly, it's all about the work--the first draft, second draft, all the big revisions and little revisions, the criticism, the flexibility to rethink things, the willingness to spend all that time alone working the craft. Everyone writer has had the experience of being in flow and having a magical first draft, but to write as an avocation takes some elbow grease and a malleable ego.

Novell

I wanted to embrace you for how right you have said.

Recently, I have kept feeling frustrated at my incapablity of puting stories on my mind in to paper, making them dance in those little black letters.

Plots, sites where the stories were happening, characters-- should it be a female or a male, blahbblah........

seemed i am not desperate in need of help on how to write or at least how to organize the idea. :( :( :(

I'm a songwriter, not a novelist or a poet. My writing goes on in my head all day (and all of the night). To complete a song can take anywhere from an hour to years. Actually writing on paper (or computer) is not something that I do often.
I started writing when I was about five but when I was twelve I wrote a poem for a school magazine and was accused of plagiarism so I stopped showing my work to anyone. I was twenty before I aired any of my work in public again.
I could no more stop writing than I could stop breathing and I believe that's how most of us on this MB feel.
And as I'm in my prime there's years and years of writing ahead of me.

crumbling in the trenches

since neutrons started spinning, I've been writing. narrating with the reach of my soul the pilgrimage of gods, in and out of black holes and water fountains deep inside the darkest matter. as a matter of fact, the allusionist will never cease to be even if he couldn't find another name for his rose. but i digress, rest upon these parting words: eyes that see more than they should, always have something to say.

Back