• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How possessive are you about your books?

I am very possessive about books.

Books are more favourite to me than my dresses and accessories.

I never lend my books to anyone.

i dont own all that many books, i prefer the library, and frankly dn't care how my books look as long as they're readable. you should see my copy of HP 1. my friend saw it, looked at me, and turned murderous. And it was my book!

Me too. I will get desperate enough to read water-logged books, just so long as the text is even the slightest bit clear.

Quite possessive

I'm quite possessive about books because I think it's fair that you should get them back after lending them. Obviously there are people that make me ask for my books back as if they weren't mine, I hate this.:mad:
I have a friend who stuck a note on her bookcase saying I Don'T LEND BOOKS, that's a bit selfish but safer for the books.;)
I keep lending to my best friends, the ones I can trust but I prefer swaping, I like getting something in return. Swaping books and sharing impressions about them afterwards makes reading more fun.

There are some people that I just won't lend books to. I call them the spine breakers, you know the ones who just look at a book and it withers?

I hardly let anyone borrow my books. The only people I lend my books to are one of my brothers and some of my very close friends.

Against cruelty to books

I don't like to lend my books to anyone because they come back with someone ELSE'S creases in the cover, dog-ears, tears, coffee stains. I don't get upset if MY book that I'm reading gets a little damaged, the book develops it's own character while I'm reading it, while we're both on that journey to the end of the tale. Those are MY scars to as I share the joy and pain of the characters in the book.

But I cringe when I see someone pick up a new book and break the spine, folding it right back while they're reading it. I usually don't prise books open when I read them, I like to keep the spine in good condition.

... but that's just me! :D

I seldom lend my books out. I dislike the feeling that my books are not directly under my protective gaze.

My record of getting books back after lending them out has been poor, ultimately.

Most of you say you're possessive, but still have no qualms lending the books out. What then would you call me? :D

ds

I don't really have anyone to lend my books out too. When I was in my first few years of high school I would lend them out to some friends and it was always fine! One still has a book and keeps saying to me that they have it but I just let them keep it because I didn't like the book! But most of my friends would always give them back in good condition. Once about a year ago I lent one to a good friend and in her locker she managed to get the blue paint to rub all over it...a lovely white cover! I was really annoyed, but just forgot about it.

I have lent a book to my Gran but she has still to read it, so hoping it will come back in good condition.

If I am given a book I won't bend the spine unless they have and won't dog ear it unless they have. And if it is geting carried in my bag would often put it between two other books to aviod any damage.

I generally don't have any issues lending books as long as I can trust the person. But most people I know now don't really read so don't have the problem of lending out books!

I am very possessive of my books...I treasure them greatly. I will lend them to my father, but I know he'll take good care of them and give them back. The only time I lend them out is for books I haven't liked or have more than one copy of (due to gifts or such). I send these to my aunt who loves to read just about anything. Her tastes differ from mine, so if I've picked up a book I don't like, it is a good bet that she will enjoy it.

I can't stand for books to be mistreated. My students sometimes drop them or dog-ear the pages or just treat them without respect...even if they are not my books, I cringe when I see this. Part of the reason I do not lend mine out.

I buy most of my books second hand, so I'm not too fussy about the way they look. But I do get sentimentally attached to them. I lent a couple of books to a (sort of) friend a few years back (a new copy of God of Small Things, which was a present, and an ancient and much loved copy of Frost in May). A few months later she moved to the Middle East, and told me the books were safe with her in-laws.
When she came back to visit 6 months I asked her about them again, and she said she'd have a look. The next (and last) contact I had with her was a really mouldy, tatty secondhand copy of God of Small Things through the post.

Funny how some things just go on bugging you, year in year out. I still get cross when I think about it!!

Books are too expensive to loan out in my opinion. The few times I've let friends borrow books from me they either cleverly forget to return them for eternity or they bend up, tear and otherwise destroy them. So I don't let people borrow from me anymore.
I can't stand when someone picks up one of my paperback books and then proceeds to open it and bend the front cover back around the back of the book so that they can hold it in one hand. I want to scream whenever someone does that. Then when they set it down the front cover is sticking up, flapping in the air like a runover pigeon's wing. So annoying.

I won't lend my books out anymore. The last time I did was to my sister. I found them stuffed in a corner, stomped-on and unread, so I snatched them all back!:mad: ai127.photobucket.com_albums_p142_pussywillow_photos_avatar_19851.gif

i wont lend anymore out either after i lent 2 books to a 'friend' and still havent got them back after i keep asking after 3 years! one is very special as was my grandads. oh well, live and learn!!

I can't stand when someone picks up one of my paperback books and then proceeds to open it and bend the front cover back around the back of the book so that they can hold it in one hand. I want to scream whenever someone does that. Then when they set it down the front cover is sticking up, flapping in the air like a runover pigeon's wing. So annoying.

Oh, I am sooo with you on this! How can anyone abuse a book in such a way? Books provide too much pleasure for me to destroy them!

Back