• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How to find author signings

GreenMonkey

Hey, thanks in advance for any input..

Any advice on how to find author book signings? I don't live in a metropolitan area, but I would be willing to drive for several hours to have a book signed in Chicago, Toronto, etc (coming from mid-Michigan).

Are there any mailing lists, webpages, or something that keep track of author signings (esp fantasy/sci-fi signings)? I can't constantly keep watching all the different websites of my favorite authors for them.

A B5 fan too eh? Glad there's still some around!

Calling bookstores and staying up to date on the news section of your favourite authors websites is the only method I've found. Very hit and miss unfortunately.

Hmm. There are a couple of ways. Check your local bookstore. If it's a chain, like B&N, Hastings or Waldenbooks, they usually have a flyer at the front desk with upcoming in-house signings. You're also in an area where there are a lot of Cons. Sci-fi conferences and the like usually have book signings scheduled. I'm presuming you like sci-fi with the B5 tag on your signature, so here's a great site to find out about upcoming cons in your area:

Locus Magazine Conference Calendar

Have fun!

Cathy

Thanks for the Locus link.

The problem I get is that I am in a fairly rural area (mid-Michigan). We do have a Barnes & Noble in the mall, but I doubt any author of note is going to come here.

I would be willing to drive to Detroit, Lansing, - maybe even Chicago... I seriously considered driving to that NJ comic convention 'cause JMS of B5 fame was going to be there - but I was too poor to pay for a room somewhere.

I do a lot of fantasy books myself...
I do try to pay attention to RA Salvatore's site, ditto for Terry Brooks, and I recently found Mercedes Lackey's site. But man, is it a lot of work to go hunting through all the sites. Maybe I could start a webpage or something that tracked different sci-fi/fantasy authors.

You might also try the publisher's websites. A lot of times they have information on upcoming signings by their authors (especially if they're *booking* them...) Most of the sci-fi/fantasy authors are out of a few houses:

Ace/Penguin (also ROC imprint)
Tor/Forge/Orb
Berkley

They usually have author sites there, and "upcoming events".

Ooo, speaking of which -- Tor just put up the page for our new line, for anyone interested! It's pretty cool. Then you can jump back to the main page for author stuff.

Tor Paranormal Romance

Cathy

Back