• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How well read are you?

As others have said, being well-read and reading a lot of books aren't the same thing. But if you want a number, I'll give you one. 201 books since I started keeping track in April of 1999. I have a small notebook in which I write each author and title when I have finished a book. So far this year, I'm at 63. Keep in mind, I have been an avid reader all my life, and this tally doesn't include a bout with pregnancy induced insomnia during which I would stay up until the wee hours of the morning reading book after book. Used to be, the bulk of what I read was paperback romances and I could easily go thru one in an evening. Nowadays, I read stuff like Foucault's Pendulum and Watership Down and those took me a whole week. I am striving to be well-read, broadening my selections, but it takes time and I would love to be able to do nothing but sit and read for hours on end. Maybe when I win the lottery....

My dad has told me I'm the most well read person he knows, but it could just be that he doesn't know many people who read.

I've probably read thousands of books, but most of it aside from school work is fluff. I enjoy both classic and contemporary literature much more than fluff but it seems that when life gets too busy I can't give literature the attention it deserves and I can't enjoy it. Someday I'll have a library where I can lock myself away and read without interruption.

I also enjoy reading for education. The thing I miss most about school is the textbooks and the academic journals. I enjoy reading about research in various disciplines. If I could afford the tution I would never stop going to school until I had learned all there was to know.

bookl0ver said:
My dad has told me I'm the most well read person he knows, but it could just be that he doesn't know many people who read.

I've probably read thousands of books, but most of it aside from school work is fluff. I enjoy both classic and contemporary literature much more than fluff but it seems that when life gets too busy I can't give literature the attention it deserves and I can't enjoy it. Someday I'll have a library where I can lock myself away and read without interruption.

I also enjoy reading for education. The thing I miss most about school is the textbooks and the academic journals. I enjoy reading about research in various disciplines. If I could afford the tution I would never stop going to school until I had learned all there was to know.

For years I was an acquisitions editor for sci/tech books, and the job was mostly reading the sci/tech press, looking for book ideas, potential authors, new subject areas, etc. It was so much fun sometimes. That's one field where the editor is usually the progenitor of the book, not the author. Sounds like a career you might also enjoy.

There is no way i can count the number of books i have read, but it must be several thousands. Everything from crappy westerns to philosophy. My mother used to read a lot of books to me before I learned to read myself. As soon as I had learned to read I started visiting the library and have never stopped reading since.

Zolipara said:
There is no way i can count the number of books i have read, but it must be several thousands. Everything from crappy westerns to philosophy. My mother used to read a lot of books to me before I learned to read myself. As soon as I had learned to read I started visiting the library and have never stopped reading since.

For about 6 months I edited the most crappy Westerns on the planet--the Creed series. AHHH! I actually had to read every word. Like a bodice-ripper in cowboy boots.

I dont think i ever read that series, but its been many years since i last read a western. There was a time when i read quite a few westerns, but once i got older they did not interest me anymore.

bookl0ver said:

Ah!! A man after my own heart!!!! If I could go to school forever, I would. Is there such a thing as a professional student? Shortly after I was married and home with my first baby, I taught myself how to design a house from an architecture textbook I found in the library. Took notes and everything. I have always loved learning things. :D :eek:

cajunmama said:
I have always loved learning things. :D :eek:

Even maths, biology, chemistry, physics and economy? :D

In my case, it's fun learning things, as long as I get them. If I don't understand a thing, it's no fun any longer. :eek:
It's different though, if I have interest in it. :)

Maya said:
Even maths, biology, chemistry, physics and economy? :D
Well, yes for the most part. :eek: Not so much math, calculus bent my brain when I was at University. But I liked bio, chem and physics. I got an A in AP (college level) economics in high school. :D

cajunmama said:
I got an A in AP (college level) economics in high school. :D

Lucky dog! We only had AP English and Algebra available and they were at the same time! I took the English and loved it! So much more information than what was in the normal classes.

Cathy C said:
Lucky dog! We only had AP English and Algebra available and they were at the same time! I took the English and loved it! So much more information than what was in the normal classes.
My high school was mostly academically oriented (that means our football team SUCKED ;) ) I took almost all AP classes my senior year (chem, physics, economics, government, english. I had no lunch break because of the class times, but got out early. I loved my AP classes, but wish I had studied harder for the exams :( .

I took all of the AP history and English courses in high school, as well as, physics and calculus. I did much better on the history and english exams. As for the types of educational things I like to read...I love history and anthropology. I'm also interested in the sciences (biology, chemistry) but not so much physics (it hurts my brain). I like reading about people and how they lived througout different periods of time.

I think 'well read' in this day and age would be more a balance of reading, Possibly grounded in the classics or at least some of the classics. Selections from the Greeks up to today. Also at least a nodding acquaintance with some of the different topics throughout fiction as well as non fiction.

When I was little ( dinosaurs roamed the earth) I was started on Poe, Dickens, White as well as authors that were considered children's classics.

I was quite ill as a child and confined to bed. I read everything and anything I could. My father made daily book runs to the library. I knew the head librarian so I would give her my list in the morning, and dad would return that days book and pick up the next days. These books were history, science, animal husbandry, crafts, gardening, & even a few geography books. ( I am terrible at that however, along with math) I wanted to read everything I possible could.

So a wide range of interests would actually be my answer to what constitutes well read today

vi

Not as well read as I like to be. I admit that I haven't read a lot of classic literature, but I do read a lot. I try to read at least 50 books year - hasn't been going that well this year though :( .

I think that being well read is also very relative to others. Probably most of us here in this forum could be considered well read in relation to the average joe on the street. but to be well read in the true sense I think you should have a firm grounding in the classics and also of comtemporary literature. As for me, I would consider myself well read compared with my peers, but not quite well read in actuality, however I'm working on it! :)

Well I have some 4,000 books, and i have read them, I started colelcting books some 8 years ago or so, I would have to say than maybe 5,000 books? That's a very rough estiamte.

I have read over 842 books in almost 4 years. That's not really including books I have reread (which I do a lot). I know one summer I read 60 books in 6 weeks, but at the moment I read about 8-14 books a month. So I must have read thousands of books.

But well read? I'm not sure. I read a lot but... I like light reading. I'm probably reasonably well read compared to my classmates, if that counts.

I'm VERY well read. I've read books since, I don't know, I can't remember. I'll read just about anything. I read long novels, like Anna Karenina, and books and novels on and about anything. I especially like books by Russian authors, because of the fancy ways the characters say their names, only when the translator use them properly, like Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov, in Crime and Punishment. I hate when they don't use the middle name.

Must be in the thousands. When I was a kid, and before I had kids,I read constantly. When the kids were small, I spent several years in childrens' literature; which was lots of fun.

Dont know if I'm "well read" though. Maybe after I get through all my to-be-read books (Like that will ever happen. Last count was 143, and it continues to grow!) :)

Back