• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Howdy

LxD

Well, hello :) How're y'all doing?

I'm alex, most people call me Lex, you can call me whatever you fancy :) [Don't worry, I'm not that big on smiles :)]
Right off my user name is the coolest possible combination of my name, alex D. (well, at least I though so)

I'm "only" 16, so by no means an old guy. I'd been looking (can we officially start using 'googling' now?) for a place where people actually enjoy reading books, and, well, here I am. I can't tell you how many times a week I hear things like (seriously, now) "I hate reading and hope it dies" and other such, it's just too depressing. I know not one person who actually reads for enjoyment. And that's just about a paragraph more than anyone wanted to know.

I read mostly Fantasy (not SF!! They are not the same thing!! You'd think that'd be common knowledge, hmm) but I do enjoy reading something funny now and then (Hiaasen!). Favorite series of all time is probably the one I'm still now reading (Terry Goodkind: Sword of Truth).

I'm an aspiring graphic artist (Maya, Rhino and Bryce[I know, I know], and some motion with AE and 3ds). The Navy or Army is probably going to pay for me to go to an AI somewhere, then I'll go see them for a few years. I refuse to sit behind a desk until I retire, although I'm no dummy. I'll most likely end up an Army ranger and then eventually SWAT somewhere. Maybe by the time I'm 40 or so I'll be ready for a desk, maybe not. I know, I know, 'such big plans for a kid, looking to 40!!', but hey, I live in the middle of no where, I've got time to think.

I run track in the winter and throw the Javelin in the summer, (and fail geo year round), and that's my life story. More than anyone would ever want to know, but, hey, oh well.

Looking forward to meeting everyone here :)

Ah, a fellow Oklahoman. Greetings and salutations from Southeastern OK. There are readers in this state, you just have to look for them. Check out the thread here on "What to do with books once you've read them," (I think thats right) and hit the Bookcrossing website. There are several folks releasing books in Oklahoma.

Take my word for it Navy or Coast Guard is better. Where ever you go is going to be air-conditioned--which is considerably better than grinding gravel in the sun. I know a fellow from NE OK that joined the Coast Guard when he was 18. He was good at it, made a career of it and spent most of his time in Hawaii and California. Good education program and plenty of law enforcement training, if that's what you're looking for. No desks either, but lots of beaches. Better like water if you go that route, though.

Don't let any one tell you 16 is too young to start planning for 40. 40's much nicer if you plan for it and the earlier the better. Probably most 40 year olds who didn't plan for it think that way, even if they won't admit it.

This is a great site if you love to read.

And yes there is a significant difference between the genres of Fantasy and SF, but they usually get jammed together, sometimes in the same book and most always on the same shelf.

Welcome fellow fantasy reader!

I'm impressed! Not only a 16 year old that actuallys READS but one that has a life plan! I wish you lots of luck in your pursuits.

By the way, I also read The Sword of Truth. I'm waiting for the latest one to come out in paperback. It shouldn't be too long, I hope.

Welcome Alex,

Fortunately there are plenty of people who read for enjoyment , but I agree with you, it is depressing to meet people who admit they hate reading. You probably won't meet any on this site though ;)

Back